How hard is to install a scangauge II ? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazBarlow View Post
...how hard is it to transfer from one vehicle to the other ? Do you have to setup different parameters for each vehicle ?
Unplugging it from vehicle "A" and plugging it into vehicle "B" will get you 90% of the functionality without any adjustments.

If you want usable MPG numbers, reasonable tank estimates, etc. then you do need to tell it the engine displacement (in tenths of a liter, IIRC), the size of your gas tank, etc. And you'll need to "tweak" its understanding of how frugal the engine is by telling it how many gallons you really used on at least the first fill.

If you're moving it between the same two (or "n") vehicles on a regular basis (versus a bunch of random ones), once you get the adjustment factors you can write them down. Then it's just a matter of a few quick settings when you move from vehicle to vehicle, because the fine-tuning's already been done.

If I was trying to cover two vehicles, I'd buy a second SG rather than moving one all the time -- they're not all that expensive (worth every penny!), and it's less stressful on the OBDII port and cable than plugging/unplugging all the time. But moving it's really no big deal.

One caution though, I pull mine whenever I leave the car at the dealer (they don't need to know I have a device that can reset codes, bwahaha ) and after one particularly long disconnect my SG lost all its settings for displacement, tank size, etc. No big deal, it just caught me off guard. It retained all the FE data, so no harm done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minger View Post
And out of curiosity, there isn't a way to get an analogish readout, is there?
Not with the SG, no; it's a character-based display.

Rick

Old 10-18-2007, 12:10 PM   #12
Registered Member

I put mine on top of the steering column. The steering wheel is adjustable, so I have it all the way down so I can still read all the other gauges. Works pretty well there.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:32 PM   #13
Registered Member

Rick, good point--pull the scan gauge...

also, good idea to put it somewhere that it can be inconspicuously covered with a towel (or something similar) to hide it from thieves.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #14
Registered Member

Mine perfectly wedges between the trip reset button and the right portion of the gauge cluster.

It's always temporary so I can hook it up to test vehicles (rental cars). In those applications, it's generally placed where it won't go flying off in a turn or something.

Further, if the car is tested, I hide the FE info so I won't be effected by the feedback, to ensure a rational FE conclusion free of as much bias as possible. It's still useful for exact MPH, RPM, IAT, and FWT feedback in this config.

RH77
Old 10-18-2007, 04:16 PM   #15
Registered Member

I was reading the manual for the Scangauge II and it says some features might not be able to be displayed on some vehicles. Does anyone know what feature will not work on a 1996 Ford Taurus ?
Thanks,
Raz
RazBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:57 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazBarlow View Post
I was reading the manual for the Scangauge II and it says some features might not be able to be displayed on some vehicles. Does anyone know what feature will not work on a 1996 Ford Taurus ?
Thanks,
Raz
That's most likely FPR -- or fuel pressure. Sometimes MAF (the mass air flow sensor isn't recognized). I can only try to remember my experiences with late-model Tauruses (2005+), but MAF may be omitted -- can't recall.

I haven't found a car that records Fuel-Pressure yet

RH77