How to hypermile Civic HX?? - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
If a ScanGauge is unavailable, a cooking/barbecue thermometer with a remote probe is often suggested as a good way to measure IAT.
For about $10 I got an "interior/exterior" car thermometer at AutoZone. Other big box parts stores likely also have them. I wired the "exterior" sensor into the air box in my old Volvo. Display unit mounts to dash with Velcro. If you cut the lead wires you'll need to solder them back. Crimp connectors have enough resistance that it's in the same range as the sensor resistance; mine read very hot after a few months and cleaned right up after I replaced the crimp connectors with solder.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #32
Registered Member

I just did a complete 2nd read of this thread and there's alot of good detailed info here...so thanks!

I tried DFCO with engine on for an entire tank and got 36mpg. Then I tried pulse and glide for an entire tank along with alot of EOC. My mpg was 39. I didn't do any techniques on this last tank and I was at 40mpg. I have paid alot more attention to the lean burn on this last tank so that could be some of the minor increase. I have a really sticky throttle cable so minor throttle adjustments end up being large ones that kick me out of lean burn. The local dealership told me they won't do the factory recall on the throttle cable for me...don't know if they were just trying to get rid of me or not. I'll be really po'd at them if I buy one and install it then find out I coulda had it done for free.

It appears that I agree at this point with the post in this thread stating that P&G is not as big of a help with the HX due mainly to the leanburn feature.

One of the possible problems with my EOC and P&G could be the lack of a grill block on my HX. Due to the weather I suspect I was keeping the engine cold for most of my trip due to the EOC which results in less than desirable fuel mileage.

Daveedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #33
Registered Member

Are you guys just putting a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator for the grill block? What have you been getting now that it's summer? (better weather, better gas). I'm hovering at just right above 50MPG. No hypermiling. About 90% highway, 10% city. Although, one thing I haven't done is checking to see how much the odometer is off. I need to get my GPS and see the difference.

Also, FYI, the HX 5-speed is rated at 35/43MPG. The auto is at 31/39.
GasSavers_cackalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #34
Registered Member

I have my upper grill fully blocked still, and my lower is 1/2 blocked. The lower opening has the top half blocked, so there's a long slit across the bottom, about 2" high. I maxed out at 187F water temp yesterday, and we hit 98 degrees ambient.

palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote