Hypermiling conditioning - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
Lean Burn Mode

Hypermiling conditioning

Well I'm on vacation and about 400 miles from home, testing my H skills... and well... they still suck.LOL

We took my wife's 100% stock Toyota Corolla to see if I can better my mileage(Coeur d' Alene ID to Port Townsend WA. Last time on the same route I averaged 39MPG Today my best again was 39.99 mpg (65mph average speed). I even drafted (to a point not to upset the cargo van's driver in front of me) for 200 miles. I thought for sure I would have my first 40mpg with this car. But no. I still need to put some more miles on tomorrow and see where I'm at but it will probably be not good. I had to go over two passes, one that's 4000'. But I'm still happy with the mileage considering I haven't messed with this car. Its a good thing because there's always a chance something could go wrong and leave us stranded.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:42 PM   #2

All you have to do is slow down 5 mph.

FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:06 AM   #3

took the words right out of my mouth..er...keyboard
Philip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
39MPG is nothing to sneeze at.

What techniques were you using besides drafting? There's not a lot of useful techniques for highway driving. Reducing speed is an obvious one, but unlike other types of driving it actually adds up to your trip taking longer. On hills you can do some P&G...or if you're really patient and there's not a lot of other traffic you can do it on level land. Other than that it's tire pressure and aerodynamic modifications.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
Lean Burn Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
All you have to do is slow down 5 mph.
Yeah I know but we were like everone else late . It will get about 41 mpg at 60mph. But the trafic around us is all doing around 80mph on the freeway so I try to stay close to the 70mph posted to not get ran over.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:49 AM   #6
Lean Burn Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
39MPG is nothing to sneeze at.

What techniques were you using besides drafting? There's not a lot of useful techniques for highway driving. Reducing speed is an obvious one, but unlike other types of driving it actually adds up to your trip taking longer. On hills you can do some P&G...or if you're really patient and there's not a lot of other traffic you can do it on level land. Other than that it's tire pressure and aerodynamic modifications.
Totally true. There is not to much you can do.
I did use a lot of P&G when I could going through the small towns and on the hills. Plus I found out it gets great mileage when aboard a ferry.LOL
The Seattle area has a ton of bike people and people that walk, its very pleasing to know that people still walk and bike to get around in the great USA.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #7
Lean Burn Mode

Update:

On my second stage we got 36.50 this was about 30% city and 70% freeway.
So I need some more improvements on Hypermiling.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
Registered Member

I'm curious to know more details as to the kind of elevation changes you're dealing with. Are we talking long amounts of time into the wind and/or up varying grades of incline?
Old 07-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #9
Lean Burn Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by add|ct View Post
I'm curious to know more details as to the kind of elevation changes you're dealing with. Are we talking long amounts of time into the wind and/or up varying grades of incline?
Just got back Home

996.7 miles total

1st stage 39.99 mpg
2nd stage 36.50 mpg
3rd stage 40.6 mpg
4th stage 39.12 mpg

We went over two major passes, Stevens Pass 4061 feet, and Snoqualmie pass 3022 feet.

But the whole time it is up and down in elevation with lots of large hills.

The route taken

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/2-RpkGr3G*

EDIT:

One thing that I find very interesting is how much ambient temperature can affect your fuel mileage.

On my last stages (98*F) I had my AC on with windows up and thought that my mileage would suffer a lot. To my surprise it turned out to be the two best legs of this adventure. There has to be a way to harness this when temps are on the cool side???
Old 07-16-2010, 02:32 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
One thing that I find very interesting is how much ambient temperature can affect your fuel mileage.

On my last stages (98*F) I had my AC on with windows up and thought that my mileage would suffer a lot. To my surprise it turned out to be the two best legs of this adventure. There has to be a way to harness this when temps are on the cool side???
It seems that this is caused by a rather large variety of factors. The only factor that I think can be duplicated is intake air temperature; that's what a WAI (Warm Air Intake) is for.

It is generally agreed that A/C is less loss than open windows at highway speed.