2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:46 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs View Post
people just need to slow down thats about it
Almost...they need to slow down, look ahead, THINK and then act accordingly...

McIntyre's First Law: "Under the right circumstances, anything I tell you may be wrong."

O'Brien's First Corollary to McIntyre's First Law: "I don't know what the right circumstances are, either."

rvanengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:58 AM   #23
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OdieTurbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanengen View Post
Almost...they need to slow down, look ahead, THINK and then act accordingly...
THINK? Other drivers know how to think? Even today on my drive in... I was coming up through a 1 lane on the highway (other lane closed for construction) at 55 MPH, a big ol' Dodge Ram Pickup was on my a** the whole way, as soon as we cleared the construction, ZOOM! He went right up to 80. If people only knew how deep the hole they are digging is. Hell, even that they're digging a hole!

It's amazing how many people I meet that say "D*mn the gas prices are high! I wish they would come down" as they fill their Excursion SUV and then hop on the freeway with the AC on at 80. Duh!
Old 05-31-2007, 12:48 PM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Ah, but the cell phone yakker's idea of P&G is to ride the brake with the left foot and ride the gas with the right...

theclencher: Thanks for the laugh. Their is a lot of unfortunate truth to this, but I hadn't heard it phrased this way, before.

As far as overall fuel use is concerned, I think it really is a aggregate balance that we need to strive for, considering our safety, other peoples safety, our efforts to economize and potentially it's affect, good or bad, on the economy of other drivers.

What a mouth full! Anyway, in my consideration, if your driving a little slower, but as a result your able to keep yourself and the cars behind you from coming to stomp on it breaking, or acceleration, then I suspect that on the aggregate you are helping them to achieve better mileage than they would if they didn't have someone to pace them. If they decide to jam and get around you, so they can catch up to someone else to follow, then you really don't have any control over that.

Ultimately, you really only have control over what you do and if what you are doing is within reason and is not unduly creating a unnecessary problem for other people, or safety, then I think you can do what ever you wish. If what your doing starts to impede the safety of yourself or others, even if it's just because the yoyo in the SUV get's pissed off, then I think you owe it to yourself, your family and the community as a whole, to not do those things, at that time.

Way to over analyzed!
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:48 PM   #25
Registered Member

Ya, if there are always people behind you, I think it would not be nice or helpful to do P&G. Just keep a steady speed, and allow people to pass you when they feel like they need to.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:28 PM   #26
Registered Member

I don't think it's as bad as that Clencher. If traffic is that thick and moving smoothly, there's probably a good draft to pick up that would outperform P&G antics. Even if there isn't a draft per se, that much traffic can definately generate a current.

That said, I only do it when there's nobody behind me to hinder.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:33 PM   #27
Registered Member

i'm a east coaster and a frequent traveler on I-95 from nc to south fla. i think trying to roll at 60 mph will get you killed with a 80 to 85 mph norm
falcon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:10 AM   #28
Registered Member

Only if you try to do it in the No.1 lane. A similar idea is that some people cruise at ~100mph (which they do), so going 80mph can be pretty dangerous too. The person at 100mph takes longer to slow down to 80mph than the person at 80mph takes to slow down to 60mph.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:26 AM   #29
Registered Member

If you've seen the Autobahn, you know way more extreme speed differences can coexist. It just takes some attention from everyone, along with the idea that whatever speed you want to drive at is OK. Slow drivers are prepared to speed, but fast drivers are prepared to slow down.

I don't think passing takes that much power on freeways, unless you're going 20 under the speed limit. Since I've been there, I assume those cars are limping to the next exit. The main time I get flak for going the speed limit is on 2-lane roads. There's not much you can do there but go steady, and hope they grow some balls and pass you. Mostly they just stick behind you and cruise. These are the roads you could hang a red triangle and go 25 max with perfect authority. If they want to burn fuel zipping past, it's not your problem.

I can see how extreme under-the-limit driving could cause so many to get frustrated that they'd burn lots of fuel. So don't do that... just go as slow as is normal. They would have burned the fuel anyway.
GasSavers_Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:53 AM   #30
Registered Member

Is is just me, or is anyone else noticing other drivers are starting to slow down. I used to get passed like I was standing still. Now more people are doing the same as I am, 5 MPH under the speed limit.