Long EOC no brakes at the bottom - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2006, 10:31 AM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
that's the pimpness, how much did you pay?
Well, I work for an autoparts company, so I get a discount. I paid $35 for a new master cylinder. I'm not sure what the retail is, but it's probably about twice that or more. You could always pull one from the junk yard if it was in good shape.

Since I have pics handy I'll post up the difference between the stocker and the 15/16.

The stock 90 civic MC:

And the 15/16 MC = BAM!

No bending of lines required.

LincolnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:32 AM   #22
*shrug*

Damn, that's teh bigness.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:12 AM   #23
FE nut

My new injector cut-off switch came in handy when I was coming home from PA a couple of weeks ago. It was a 3 mile downhill stretch about 7 or 8 miles southwest of Port Royal on PA-74. I just put it in 4th and killed the injectors at about 40 mph at the top of the hill. About 1/3 of the way down, I had to hit the brakes and slow back down to around 50 then again around 2/3 of the way down. Since the engine was still turning, I had power brakes, A/C(if I had needed it), oil pressure, and alternator for lights and radio. Since I don't have power steering that wasn't even an issue.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:32 AM   #24
Registered Member

If I notitce my brakes are getting dangerous I use the emergency brake (it helps with small stops).

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:51 AM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sludgy
IMHO, small cars don't need PS or PB, but the automakers don't want to sell cars without them solely because of marketing concerns.
I agree. My Metro has no PS, but it does have PB. However, if I do run out of vacuum (which is rarely) it's still no problem to stop. That could be my driving style too. I always brake very gently over really long distances.

I get panicky in the passenger seat with most people since they're usually still accelerating while I would have been braking 100 yds back in some situations.

Another thought on vaccum. I wonder if it would be possible to set up some sort of braking accumulator system so there is always a charged reserve? I'll have to look into it.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:40 PM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95metro
Another thought on vaccum. I wonder if it would be possible to set up some sort of braking accumulator system so there is always a charged reserve? I'll have to look into it.
Cool! There is such a thing. Very popular in BMWs and Audis.

http://www.prostreetonline.com/oem/brake_accumulator/
Old 06-16-2006, 01:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Mwahaha, CRNSX ftw!
Sorry for OT, but the CRNSX is the biggest pile of sh!t I've ever seen. Mahdavi Motorsports built the car (they're in Atlanta) and it is an absolute BASKETCASE of back-woods engineering and shoddy work. It sounds cool, but you get a close up look at it and it blows.

When they first built it (it was red) we saw it at the track. It was spraying nitrous and was only running 13's.

I was like WTF FTW!!!!
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:33 PM   #28
*shrug*

Yeah, it does suck, I know, that's why I mentioned it,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:35 AM   #29
Registered Member

While CODFishing I turn the key to accessory (so the steering doesnt lock) and coast. If I need more brake boost, I leave the key on acc. and let out the clutch in 5th to spin the engine for a couple seconds giving me a couple more stops with the brakes. This just spins the engine without any spark or fuel. I figure that this is fine for the engine. If anyone knows otherwise let me know! When I am coming to a stop after coasting engine off, I start it in 5th at anywhere from 30-20mph.
GasSavers_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:23 PM   #30
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
While CODFishing I turn the key to accessory (so the steering doesnt lock) and coast. If I need more brake boost, I leave the key on acc. and let out the clutch in 5th to spin the engine for a couple seconds giving me a couple more stops with the brakes. This just spins the engine without any spark or fuel. I figure that this is fine for the engine. If anyone knows otherwise let me know! When I am coming to a stop after coasting engine off, I start it in 5th at anywhere from 30-20mph.
You should leave the key in the run position if you are going to coast with the engine off. The reason for this is that, when you are in the accessory position in most cars, your odometer isn't registering mileage. This would kind of defeat the whole purpose of Engine Off Coasting which is to rack up mileage without the engine running.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote