Mirage close to 60 MPG again - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2017, 04:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

Mirage close to 60 MPG again

I had some BMW "IMOLA" rims on the Mirage since April this year. The Echo had some cheesy Chinese tires that rode like crap. I had a set of OE Dunlop Ensaves sitting on a shelf in the garage so I took the TPMS sensors out the the IMOLAS and put them on the Echo, sensors and Ensaves went on the Mirage. Today we rode down to the beach at Yorktown where "the world turned upside down" for a walk on the beach, almost two miles. I was so close to 60 MPG when we got home, missed it by 1 MPG.

The Mirage is taking a break for being my daily driver, total of 70 miles in the last twenty days. The bike has 50 since the 2nd. Everything else has been in the Echo.

With 37.5 k miles, I want to see 36 months ownership (May 9th 2018) so the 10-100 warranty will not run out quickly due to mileage, so the Echo is the solution.

Bike had 1444 miles before taking it out today. Man it is fun putting around a college town on that baby. Original owner spent $75 a mile. I'm down to $1 now.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:03 PM   #2
Registered Member

That is tremendous MPG. I'd be chuffed getting that in MPG(UK), never mind US. Well done.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:07 PM   #3
Registered Member

Shame you are forced to go to such extremes to get that sort of economy. My Clio would get that kind of economy (74 MPG) at 70 MPH on the highway, its impossible to beat a diesel for efficiency.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:56 AM   #4
Registered Member

R.I.D.E., congrats on your numbers!

Draigflag: Braggart ;-) (But I'm still way impressed with the Cleo!)

2015 Audi Q5 "Progressiv" + S-Line + Scuba Blue, 3.0L V6 TDI
(Highest fuel economy for all Audi Q5s on Fuelly!)

SteveMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:11 PM   #5
Registered Member

When I need to go to extremes, whatever that may mean in your pathetically flawed imaginary understanding of the way I drive, my mileage goes beyond 130 mpg UK. Sad you must not only presume to know that which you don't, but use an example of a vehicle you no longer own. Based on that rationale I can legitimately claim 204 mpg UK out of a vehicle I owned in the past, AND that vehicle was 52 years old as of this date.

Inadequacy diffused with alcohol, a poor combination for rational debate or learning.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:13 PM   #6
Registered Member

Turning your engine off and compromising the safety of yourself and other road users, only an idiot would make their brakes, steering and ability to accelerate from dangerous situation WORSE. The law agrees with me I'm afraid. In a land where fuel is cheaper than water too, you must be so tight, I bet if you sat on a piece of coal, there'd be a diamond when you got up, only dogs can hear you break wind. No need to remind you to respect my opinion, anyway, you said you weren't going to respond to my posts, I can add liar to your list of personality traits. Turning out to be a wonderful person aren't you?

Old 10-26-2017, 11:57 PM   #7
Registered Member

It is not illegal, here in the UK, to coast. There is even a question in the theory test about coasting. It is not advised, but there is a difference between "not advised" and "illegal".
Old 10-27-2017, 01:07 AM   #8
Registered Member

No, in some US states, if not all, it's illegal to coast in neutral with the engine ON, never mind switched off.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:14 AM   #9
Registered Member

The law in the US is peculiar. In California it is illegal to coast down hill, but not on the flat (such as up to lights).
Old 10-27-2017, 03:04 AM   #10
Registered Member

US law is unique to each state. Va coasting laws go back to the 1930s. I do nothing a Prius does not do automatically, therefore, if it is illegal, then they can't sell Prii here and we all know that ain't gonna happen. Yesterday I rode my neighbor about 30 miles to the shop where he is getting some brake work done, same guy who climbed a 40 foot ladder to help me finish building my house 14 years ago, designed by me, contracted by me, most of the work done by me, worth $315K, cost $160K and 16 months at $100 @ hour tax free.

He probably didn't even notice I was "hypermiling" moving smoothly with rush hour traffic having a pleasant conversation. 3 stripes, forget it, lucky to have one, in many cases separation is ONE car length but I don't try to impose my will on others. If they want to drive stupid and waste energy and money, I can adapt to that with little difficulty. The resident alcholic Tool just can't comprehend adaptability and the draft advantage means about 10 more MPG with the "corridor effect".