P&G not helpful in Saturn SL2 - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2008, 06:31 PM   #41
Registered Member

I have complete confidence that if I was doing all highway, I'd be seeing 36 to 37 MPG. My best highway mpg to date was 33.xx mpg to Louisville and back w/ windows up, A/C used the entire trip, tires at door jamb spec (26 front 28 rear I think?) one passanger, cruise control used the entire trip, and ambient temp was 90*F both ways. That was 2 years ago when the car had all kinds of bugs and before I knew about hypermiling. My best mixed tank back then was 27 mpg...

Advance to today, my most recent mixed tank was probably 90% city and got 31.xx mpg. That's 4mpg improvement over 2 years ago. Even though it's not realistic, lets just say I get 4mpg improvement on my best highway tank, that would land a solid 37mpg.

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:04 PM   #42
Registered Member

Next time you need tires, get taller than stock, thinner, LRR tires.

My best MPG are running with TPS from about 6 to 10 steady in 5th gear, which is to say from 40 to 55 mph on the flat. Trying to get from point A to point B accelerating to 55 and coasting back to 40 over and over would make for a very long drive, IMO.

cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:04 AM   #43
Registered Member

Quote:
I should've also said, I say bull to anyone getting 40's that is doing at least 50/50 driving or more city than highway. I hit the highways generally about 40-50 miles per tank if I'm lucky.
That's probably one of the major problems with your mileage.

Quote:
because people seem to have taken offense to my statement that P&G didn't do much for me.
I'm not sure who you think is offended, I think the issue is that most on the BB are wondering what's going on with your car and/or P&G technique, and are trying to offer help/advice/whatever.

Based on some of your other comments (i.e. 'the car sounds like a diesel') mechanical issues may be contributing to your bad MPG numbers.
dosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:11 AM   #44
Registered Member

Project

I am sorry P&G doesn't work for you. As you have already stated your car is less than optimum since it has an auto transmission and is the DOHC. However you stating that P&G doesn't work for an SL2 is no different than those you are calling out saying they must have major mods. I am not a stats expert but take any of our individual findings and it is merely anectdotal. It is going to take a large population with some control to be truly scientific. Your post would be better titled P&G in SL2 doesn't work for ME.

Either way I have seen this post and a few of your post on Saturnfans and you always seem to argue with anyone that trys to discuss your findings as if there is no way in the world you could be doing something differently. As Dosco noted most are wondering what is up with your car or are trying to help but you seem to just want to argue that everyone else in the world must be wrong.

Now on to some actual gas saving discussion......

I have 97 Saturn SL with a 5 speed and will second Cheapybob's comments on the best MPG are running with TPS in 6 to 10 in 5th. I choose to run around 12-16 which puts me at about 65 for most of my trip and according to Scangauge I get between 39-42 mpg depending on the road condition. I have been averaging around 40.5 for the first 2,000 miles I have had the car with about 80% highway. I will also add that I have tried P&G for about half of my 50 mile one way almost all highway trip. Pulsing to 75 and gliding to 55. I haven't had my Scangauge long enough to have perfected TPS on the pulse etc but as CHeapy noted for long stretches that much P&G can be tiring and so far I have only seen a minimal increase in fuel mileage which hasn't been enough to make me want to P&G everyday. However as I stated before so far most of my data is anectdotal since I don't have enough data to come to a conclusion.
Martin71a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:32 AM   #45
Registered Member

I wasn't trying to argue, just merely pointing out that "advice" in the form of giving stats on different models/years/styles isn't very helpful, and took his post as bragging about an accomplishment that didn't totally correspond to my issue. So... that's why I said he was annoying.

From what I've learned and read, my Saturn is just like the run of the mill w/ all other DOHC pre '98 models in that it burns oil consistantly, has experienced ECTC problems, and the EGR needs cleaned every 6-8 months.

You are right though, I should've titles it "P&G not helpfun in MY SL2"

In the end, it was helpful, but as I noted, annual savings appear to be about $30, not worth it IMHO based on the extra exercise the transmission gets.

Also worth noting, I state my highway mileage is roughly 40-50 miles per tank or 15%. Perhaps P&G is more helpful on the highway.
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 07-01-2008, 08:39 AM   #46
Registered Member

Well John, I think that P&G is working for me and we have the same cars only mine is newer and I've noticed an increase in FE in my mostly city driving... I think this tank I will be getting 35+ MPG and I've been 80% city driving.. That's litterally better then my old 80% highway driving of getting a good 33 MPG past record. I plan on doing some of the things you recommended now, cleaning EGR mainly. I will find out if I'm getting 35+ soon enough and it could go down a bit to probably 32 range since I'm going to drive 100% city driving this last 1/4 tank.
SolidLiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #47
Registered Member

I've noticed a new issue, i'm starting a new thread about it... scangauge owners and mechanics welcome!

Good luck on the mileage Snake, I'm pullin for ya!
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 07-07-2008, 05:14 AM   #48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosco View Post
I'm still having a hard time buying that a SL2 could not achieve 35+ mpg, OTOH he's stated that most of his driving is city, so I wouldn't expect anything stellar.
Just wanted to update and say... hey... you were right. I just recorded 43.66mpg on a trip to Cleveland, the trip home hasn't been calculated yet, but it's looking like 45.xx mpg.

Highway drafting + below 60mph was VERY beneficial to the car. I note the HAI and new HAI heat shield for at least half of this improvement; roughly 5.5 mpg. Total improvement of 10mpg highway. (previous best was 33mpg highway)

I'm still blown away.
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 07-08-2008, 07:15 AM   #49
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
Just wanted to update and say... hey... you were right. I just recorded 43.66mpg on a trip to Cleveland, the trip home hasn't been calculated yet, but it's looking like 45.xx mpg.

Highway drafting + below 60mph was VERY beneficial to the car. I note the HAI and new HAI heat shield for at least half of this improvement; roughly 5.5 mpg. Total improvement of 10mpg highway. (previous best was 33mpg highway)

I'm still blown away.
Congratulations!!
dosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:55 AM   #50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post

I'm still blown away.
Woo!! That's awesome news. Means that I'm going to have to seriously take a look at this heat shield mumbo jumbo or grill block. Teach me the ways and I will do it for sure. I don't know if my thermostat is 195 though..

I've been wanting to update you too John and by the looks of it P&G works, especially in all the city driving I've done on this tank. Check my gas log for this weekend and weeklong driving.

SolidLiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote