Saving gas by not changing lanes? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #21
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I like effort so light that I can steer by just giving the steering wheel a dirty look.
I imagine your LeSabre meets and/or exceeds those expectations... I remember my old Bonneville wagon was a sheer pleasure to drive on the highway. I'd set the seats and the cruise, then pull the tilt wheel all the way down. I'd have the steering wheel in my lap, and steer with 2 fingers. I do the same with all my vehicles. The only one that isn't as compliant is the Beast as it has speed sensitive power steering so you really need a little more than 2 fingers to drive. Usually its 2 fingers & a thumb. My mom used to have a Taurus and I absolutely hated it because you could not drive it on the highway with just a few fingers. I only made one road trip in that car. I just couldn't stand it.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I imagine your LeSabre meets and/or exceeds those expectations... I remember my old Bonneville wagon was a sheer pleasure to drive on the highway. I'd set the seats and the cruise, then pull the tilt wheel all the way down. I'd have the steering wheel in my lap, and steer with 2 fingers. I do the same with all my vehicles. The only one that isn't as compliant is the Beast as it has speed sensitive power steering so you really need a little more than 2 fingers to drive. Usually its 2 fingers & a thumb. My mom used to have a Taurus and I absolutely hated it because you could not drive it on the highway with just a few fingers. I only made one road trip in that car. I just couldn't stand it.

-Jay
What year? our 97 is kinda annoyign to drive too, it liek gets hard even tho your just chaneging lanes. now our 96 aerostar my gawd! if your on a bumpy road the van is hard to control cuz the steerings so light, your arms bouncing turns the wheel, makes one handed steerign near impossible

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #23
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
What year? our 97 is kinda annoyign to drive too, it liek gets hard even tho your just chaneging lanes. now our 96 aerostar my gawd! if your on a bumpy road the van is hard to control cuz the steerings so light, your arms bouncing turns the wheel, makes one handed steerign near impossible
Holy Cow has a 1980 Buick LeSabre. Your 97 LeSabre should have speed sensitive power steering. I can feel when it steps down in my truck, its about 30 MPH.

-Jay

Old 08-06-2008, 06:58 PM   #24
Registered Member

it could, its a 97 with some 98 parts (tail end of the 97 model year) makes fixing it a PITA....

wish my car and truck had tilt steering wheels... (i can put one in the s-10 but ive gotten used to where it is, chevette was an option but a rare option...)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #25
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
it could, its a 97 with some 98 parts (tail end of the 97 model year) makes fixing it a PITA....

wish my car and truck had tilt steering wheels... (i can put one in the s-10 but ive gotten used to where it is, chevette was an option but a rare option...)
The only vehicle I have ever owned that didn't have a Tilt wheel was my 74 Chevy pickup. Everything else has Tilt. Your LeSabre should have had Tilt standard...

-Jay

Old 08-07-2008, 03:29 AM   #26
Registered Member

i cut my belt yesterday .... the only problem i had was today my BATT. light started to flash and my radio died..and my heat would not heat up.... i dont know i got to work and parked it so we will see what happens on my drive home
justa4door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:04 AM   #27
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
It sounds like you cut the alternator belt, not the power steering belt...
Old 08-07-2008, 05:17 AM   #28
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
It sounds like you cut the alternator belt, not the power steering belt...
Could it be on that particular vehicle the PS belt also goes around the alternator?

Old 08-07-2008, 05:28 AM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
yes they will spring back on sharp curves i was talking about changeing lanes, and in parking lots where your not moving the whole point is the power steering helps you turn the wheel once its turned it isnt needed much (some from varying the wheel a tad)

it springs back to straight from the way the suspention/alignment /tires. hence why if its in alignment you can generally set the car straight and let go of the wheel and it should stay straight for quite a distance. its designed to do that.
Isn't this also because the rear wheels are wanting to go straight?
KU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:13 AM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KU40 View Post
Isn't this also because the rear wheels are wanting to go straight?
No, inanimate objects don't "want" to do anything. They just obey the laws of physics. It really has most to do with the amount of caster in your front suspension.