Scangauge Service Testament - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Scangauge Service Testament

Not sure if this is the right section.... And I know it has been said before....

But... My scan gauge took a crap on me (seems rather rare mind you). Here's a time line

Monday Night: eMail requesting service
Tuesday: Response with address to send to
Tuesday (just before 5pm): USPS overnight
Wed morning: Package Received
Wed Afternoon: eMail with return tracking number - screen replaced and firmware updated

I haven't gotten it back yet (it was sent priority 2 day), but this is by far the best service I've ever gotten on a warranty claim... Or just about any product for that matter. So it looks like I'll have a SG for my country crossing

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
Registered Member

Sg-i

This summer mine has been overheating and crapping-out (didn't happen last summer). It resets to system defaults and the screen goes black -- it's hard not to leave it in the hot car.

Did yours get hot before it failed?

Otherwise, I say the unit is pretty durable. I've traveled 1000's of miles by tossing it in a suitcase and hooking it up to many cars. At normal operating temps it works great

RH77

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Not sure if this is the right section.... And I know it has been said before....

But... My scan gauge took a crap on me (seems rather rare mind you). Here's a time line

Monday Night: eMail requesting service
Tuesday: Response with address to send to
Tuesday (just before 5pm): USPS overnight
Wed morning: Package Received
Wed Afternoon: eMail with return tracking number - screen replaced and firmware updated

I haven't gotten it back yet (it was sent priority 2 day), but this is by far the best service I've ever gotten on a warranty claim... Or just about any product for that matter. So it looks like I'll have a SG for my country crossing

Old 05-10-2007, 12:34 AM   #3
Registered Member

Considering the type of people that use it though (no A/C, no windows down), it should be designed to take more heat tolerance. That and it should have some sort of PC-link capabilities. It would be great if you could upload all of your data into an excel file and share your car's data with other people. THAT would be helpful to improving FE for everyone!

I hope that there is another revision by the time I get back to America.
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:04 AM   #4
Supporting Member

Quoted Erdrick:
"...and it should have some sort of PC-link capabilities." Once the PC-link accessory 'promised' since August 2006 is available, I'll be in line to get it.

My SG2 did something strange the other day... that morning I started driving and was checking my "Today" stats. I cycled through the parameters. To my amazement, it read "Todaytoempty... 352 miles" and then "Todaytoempty... 7.2 gallons". I cycled thru today/yesterday/tank/current and back to "today" and everything was fine.

I found that you have to refrain from pressing buttons too quickly after engine shutdown. I had a good tank going... 2 gallons or so remaining @48 MPG. Screen when blank... hit "home" again and all my stats for tank/today/yesterday/current reset to zero. Dang!

The way I have my SG2 mounted, it's not in direct sunlight much. The IP cover shields the SG2 except when driving with the sun to my back. At work I park facing south, with a windshield sunscreen in place. At 5pm the driver's side is shaded, not quite as hot had I parked facing north without the sunscreen.

trebuchet03... Sounds like Linear Logic is taking care of you and your SG very well.

davidjh72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:08 AM   #5
Registered Member

For what it is...

Really for what it does and the excellent report of service/repair -- I think it's the best bet. From what I understand, Linear-Logic is a smaller company with a niche product line -- the durability of the First-Gen has exceeded my expectations with this in mind. To have it work on most new models is good programming (only trouble I've had is with '06 Kias -- probably the car).

Regarding Engine-off functions -- that sounds normal. It'll try to shut down in the middle of a task but go back to normal.

The ability to download data, and to be able to manipulate it, are 2 separate items. I have a Davis Carchip E/X which can download tons of data, but you can't do anything with it but look at it. Still working on a work-around -- otherwise it's a manual calc. You can see graphs, but not copy the data into excel or similar...(if anyone knows of a cheat -- lemme know )

RH77
Old 05-10-2007, 06:22 AM   #6
Supporting Member

I had a CarChip E/X before I got my SG2. I've since then sold the CarChip to a friend.

IIRC, you can export the logged data into a CSV file to load into Excel.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:29 AM   #7
Supporting Member

rh77...

CarChip manual... page 14... export data into delimited txt file using the Save As... Metafile option.

http://www.davisnet.com/product_docu...UserManual.pdf
Old 05-10-2007, 07:35 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post

Did yours get hot before it failed?
It had been hot earlier that day.... But the thing failed when I hit the home button after shutdown... It did it's reset dance and then part of the screen didn't work... Perhaps it was a bad coincidence? I don't know....

It was only after posting on the board did I realize the home --> reset bug Something tells me it writes data on shutdown, so sending it a command screws up a checksum, so it just resets.

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:35 AM   #9
Registered Member

Y-Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjh72 View Post
CarChip manual... page 14...
Huh -- it does help to read the Manual

I'll try it when I get home -- didn't consider the Right-Click.

BTW, sorry to hijack the thread further, but is it possible to get an OBD-II Y-splitter and run the SG + Carchip (or "Splice-and-Play"?)

RH77
Old 05-10-2007, 10:29 AM   #10
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
Huh -- it does help to read the Manual

I'll try it when I get home -- didn't consider the Right-Click.

BTW, sorry to hijack the thread further, but is it possible to get an OBD-II Y-splitter and run the SG + Carchip (or "Splice-and-Play"?)

RH77
ODBII splitter cable...
http://www.obd2cables.com/products/p...products_id=85

Question remains... "Will the SG and CC work independently with the splitter cable?" Try it and find out?