scanguage or ultragauge? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #21

SGII v. 4+ has Performance Monitor functions. Here's my writeup on how to do it.

FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #22
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I see, I'd need to get the firmware updated. Cost is $25...I think I'd get one of those bluetooth ELM327 dongles instead. What else does the newer version do?

Old 05-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #23

The performance monitoring/data logging is the reason I got the SGII upgrade. I didn't upgrade my UG to the EM version, as the only benefit is metric displays.

I'm not sure you can data log fuel consumption with Torque Pro and an ELM327 dongle. It will let you plot an XY graph with fuel consumption v. time or v. engine load with up to 1000 data points. But how do you relate those data to the speed or distance traveled during a pulse?
FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I see, I'd need to get the firmware updated. Cost is $25...I think I'd get one of those bluetooth ELM327 dongles instead. What else does the newer version do?
Ecomodder had a group buy for the SGII, and they got a group buy on the upgrade, $15 IIRC.

My SGII had communication problems with the new Sonic. Linear Logic upgraded it as fix for free. Just had to pay shipping it to them.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #25
Registered Member

I've been using the UltraGauge for a few months. I'm happy with it and can't see the justification to spend over double on a SG.

Although I read a post on a Subaru board about a guy using SG and it seemed he was able to get better averages than I can. It seems my real-time fuel economy jumps around quite a bit and doesn't allow me to actually get a base for when I make changes.
SubieDubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #26
Registered Member

A huge plus for my scangauge (I actually have both) is that I set up an average fuel economy setting with the X-gauge and it resets after the car is off for 3 minutes or so. this gives me a better idea of how I am doing trip to trip. I can try a different technique or route on my way to work and it is a better comparison and gives me a better glimpse into what is happening.

I did get spoiled on the scangauge. I may be just the opposite if I had gotten the ultra gauge first.

either way, it is good to have an MPG meter in your vehicle.... and a way to reset trouble codes.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #27
Registered Member

ScanGauge Info and Help

First Buy American, together we stand and divided we fall.
ScanGauge is made in Mesa Arizona
ScanGauge E====I use it because only gauge which monitors Carbon Dioxide
I use a US Patented device which cuts Carbon, HC and Nox, to Zero nearly
ScanGauge 11====It allows you to do advance stuff with Xgauge
It is better than the China built Ultra Gauge because they
stand behind it if it breaks down or you want assistance
tech support speak english and "Buy American"
ScanGauge D=====For RVers with special OBD2 connections and RV Stuff
ScanGaugeKR=====Custom SG for Over the Road Truckers very nice custom
Express Checkin===New unrelease product for Rental Car Industry

Ultra Gauge======Cheaper Chinese Made and if breaks you are on your own
Some what larger but do you really need another GPS size
screen in vehicle, ScanGauge is smaller, American Made

Ultimately if you want just help with Sweet Spot for your vehicle purchase
ScanGauge E green package is great and monitors Carbon Dioxide

I will be offering everyone access to Zero Emission Device, the ScanGauge E, will be able to continuously monitor the decrease of Carbon Dioxide.

Save our Atmosphere, Clear Air Fuel Efficiency=CAFE
Gr8Gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #28
Registered Member

Actually, neither. Buy Torque app and $10 or less worth ELM327 Bluetooth adapter, and simply see all data on your phone. Beats both gauges. As it also builds graphs, gives you all kinds of 0 to whatever tests results and, last but not least, logs your trips, so in case of need, you can prove your speed, and whatnot.
Also sides as HUD. Display can be set so that it projects mirror image onto windshiled and here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay-ZvTn3fLo

Do NOT buy adapter you see in this vid. It's too long and for cars with OBD2 port pointing down, sticks too far out. MIni is your best bet.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #29
Registered Member

Scangauge E, is to monitor Carbon Dioxide, for me

Dear Members,
I have been researching US Patents which deal with Emission Toxin reductions. So Scangauge E, monitors Carbon Dioxide and this other app, does but does not convert the Milli Volts, to a useful amount, that I can data log. While he is right overall, for my application, his suggestion will not work, unless I use conversion tables to convert the data type results.
If any of you want to know how to get 100% combustion without Emission Pollution, please write me.
Gr8Gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #30
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Actually, neither. Buy Torque app and $10 or less worth ELM327 Bluetooth adapter, and simply see all data on your phone. Beats both gauges. As it also builds graphs, gives you all kinds of 0 to whatever tests results and, last but not least, logs your trips, so in case of need, you can prove your speed, and whatnot.
Also sides as HUD. Display can be set so that it projects mirror image onto windshiled and here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay-ZvTn3fLo

Do NOT buy adapter you see in this vid. It's too long and for cars with OBD2 port pointing down, sticks too far out. MIni is your best bet.
That is certainly the most powerful and cost-effective option if you have something to use with it, like a smartphone -- and that includes one you buy used on craigslist for $20 and never activate.

I haven't seen those ELM327 BT adapters for $10 or less yet. Best I've seen is $12.

As I understand, those mini ones are hit-or-miss, you've got a strong chance of getting a defective one and even if you don't there's a chance it won't be compatible with all the cars that it should. At least at that price there isn't much at stake, you can try again with a different one easily.