Shifting To Neutral At Red Lights...Saves Gas?! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

Smile Shifting To Neutral At Red Lights...Saves Gas?!

I've heard that it's possible to save a bit of gas by shifting to neutral when you're at a red light. Has anyone else heard such a thing?

Old 08-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
With an automatic, it helps slightly. The saving is very slight, as is the effort.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Registered Member

Apparently some transmissions still run full pressure though the torque convertor while in neutral, and have the clutches disengaged while your foot is on the brake so savings are slight. Whereas when they are in park lubrication pressure is reduced and the pump is not working as hard. Full lube pressure at neutral is probably good for neutral coasting, but likely won't save you as much at stop lights as putting it in park would. However, if you've been slogging uphill recently at low city speeds and have been surfing the torque convertor, you might be better off leaving it in neutral as the higher lube pressure should give better cooling of the transmission through the tranny cooler.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
Registered Member

It saves a tiny bit. From my scangauge, if I'm in idle-D I can use from 0.20 to 0.22 gallons per hour. If am in idle-N, I go down to 0.14 to 0.17 gph and remember that this lasts for all of 5 to 7 seconds while waiting at a light so don't expect the world in savings. But it's zero effort for minimal gain, so why not?

(turning the engine off for a long light/wait [more than 10 sec] is the better recourse)

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
azraelswrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
Registered Member

lol and it's like a strange safety measure too because it's a pain to do while your on the phone, I end up cutting my driving calls short cuz of it
Old 08-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #6
Registered Member

I have done that before and noticed that the rpm did drop a little bit whilst in N. I take it to mean saving of a little bit of gas.
When I shift to N at a red light, I leave my hand on the shift knob to remind myself to shift back to D when it is time to go.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #7
Site Team / Moderator

I've gotten mild RPM drops and fuel rate drops as reported by ScanGauge in my truck by shifting into N at lights. Every little bit helps. Today I figured out DFCO, and will use that in conjunction with my stoplight strategy in hopes of raising my city mileage in The Beast even more. Currently I'm getting about 14 - 15 MPG city in a truck EPA rated (new ratings) for 12 city.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:48 PM   #8
Registered Member

If you do it right you are in neutral as you coast up to the light. I Do this with both automatic cars that i have.
1cheap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:02 AM   #9
Site Team / Moderator

Neutral coasting to the light is better than race to the light and slam on the brakes, but wouldn't DFCO be better if your vehicle is capable?

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:48 AM   #10
Registered Member

In my saturn, at a red light IN GEAR the gallons per hour is reading .45

when I slip it into neutral that drops to .32

So basically, in gear at a red light, I could sit there 2 hours and burn one gallon of fuel.

In neutral it would take 3 hours.

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote