Slowing down - stress-free driving (almost) - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2007, 12:29 PM   #11
Registered Member

Last week I took a trip to my sister's place in the country, and instead of going the obvious interstate route, I took the smaller state highways. I ended up having a lot more fun, being less stressed, and driving a lower average speed. So, more fun, better mileage. This route didn't have many places where you have to use the brakes. There were a few spots where I had to slow down, but usually had enough warning to just coast down...

Anyway, I'd recommend it for anyone planning a trip. At least consider it.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:38 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamacolin View Post
repete,
just wondering if you had any smoke in the car...most people I see at protest are major "headz"...I know that can be nerve racking when you have some herbs in the car...
No. I very rarely smoke weed, and only when it's offered (I don't like paying for things). I also don't drive when stoned, so I don't ever smoke the stuff in the car. Also, when on the way to protests, I always drive at the speed limit within a few miles of it regardless of FE loss, and accelerate quicker in order to avoid unneeded harassment and attention from the pigs who look for reasons to go after protesters (as I said earlier, I was once pulled over on the charge of "looking suspicious"). I'm very careful about making sure that there is nothing remotely illegal in my car and even go so far as to remove the acetone from my trunk. Most people I know who Black Bloc don't smoke weed often if ever. You need to have your wits about you when you're the cops' favorite target.

repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:27 PM   #13
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
Reduced stress is definitely a nice additional benefit.
It would probably be worth it to drive slower just for the stress reduction, and safety improvement even if there were zero gain in mpg.
Agreed...

for me saving gas and driving safer go hand in hand. I've had friends die in car accidents before. It's just not cool, at all.

having less stress makes you a better driver, hands down.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #14
Registered Member

yea you go 55 or 60 on intertates around here you might as well be run over... 65 is the speedlimit yet people pass you going 75+ so 65 is usually a good speed to go. its still the speedlimit so cops cant do anything, theres a good ammount of cars goign the same speed. most semis go 65-70 so you can keep up with them...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:58 PM   #15
Supporting Member

Bill -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Last week I took a trip to my sister's place in the country, and instead of going the obvious interstate route, I took the smaller state highways. I ended up having a lot more fun, being less stressed, and driving a lower average speed. So, more fun, better mileage. This route didn't have many places where you have to use the brakes. There were a few spots where I had to slow down, but usually had enough warning to just coast down...

Anyway, I'd recommend it for anyone planning a trip. At least consider it.
I'm starting to use a commute that leaves me on the streets longer. I am giving up MPG and losing some time, but I am definitely less stressed. I think I will use this route whenever I can. It's too bad I don't have a Prius, this would be a 100 MPG road for a Prius. Oh wait, I hate automatics. Never mind .

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:52 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Oh wait, I hate automatics. Never mind .

CarloSW2
Bring back the MT hybrid!!!
Old 06-08-2007, 08:01 AM   #17
Supporting Member

Bill -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Bring back the MT hybrid!!!
Yeah, I'm really becoming a used car mavin. It seems like all the cars I like are no longer in production. The next two cars I would like are a "first gen" civic MT hybrid or a Civic HX.

Wah, wah, wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (game show music)

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:50 AM   #18
Registered Member

Sorry, thanks for playing.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:37 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
... Yeah, I'm really becoming a used car mavin. It seems like all the cars I like are no longer in production. ...
Me too. No more rear-drive Volvos, the last ones sent to the US were '97 if I recall. I really love these cars but now I want a newer one with better FE and they didn't send any to the US. Just front-drive stuff that's very different. Boo-hoo.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote