The Beast has its new ScanGauge installed! PICS ENCLOSED - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #21
Registered Member

SO Jay2 does the scangauge say "LOL" when you press the pedal to the floor?
sorry, I couldn't help it

Old 07-12-2008, 03:58 AM   #22
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slurp812 View Post
SO Jay2 does the scangauge say "LOL" when you press the pedal to the floor?
sorry, I couldn't help it
I haven't run WOT in quite some time. I've seen SG report 1 MPG at half throttle though.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:21 AM   #23
Site Team / Moderator

I think I figured out where my WAI is coming from... GMC was ingenious... the truck has solar WAI! Let me explain. This morning even after the truck was warm my intake air temps were still right at ambient air. When I noticed the high intake temp yesterday I had only driven about a mile, and the truck was parked in a nice, sunny parking lot for about 30 or 40 minutes. The intake air is ducted through the passenger side fender. Right now I'm pretty sure if I had taken the truck on the highway after a few minutes the IAT would have come down to ambient, or really close to it.

-Jay

Old 07-12-2008, 09:39 AM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
That's right, I forgot, my truck's intake comes in from the fender too. I wonder if dark GM full size trucks get slightly better mileage than light-colored ones...
Old 07-12-2008, 09:55 AM   #25
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
That's right, I forgot, my truck's intake comes in from the fender too. I wonder if dark GM full size trucks get slightly better mileage than light-colored ones...
I think its negligible as since the body gets physically hotter, this will translate into a slightly higher load on the air conditioning. I think overall light color vehicles will have better mileage, if anything.

-Jay

Old 07-13-2008, 05:11 PM   #26
Registered Member

sorry, busy weekend. yea I forgot, I had to go with beefyride3. that is me.

like I said before, I haven't been on there in some time. the last time I was on there I was looking at a set of camshafts for my truck that would yield about 50hp and 60ft/lbs....and then gas went to 3+ a gallon. my focus was shifted at that point...and I bought a house.

the cams would have put me in the high 13s but she is still a little rocket. I still enjoy the old truck from time to time.

and back on subject, have fun with the scangauge. try out all the functions so that you can decide what is right for you. also a little trick I thought up (haven't tried it though) with another scangauge and a piece of cat-5 cable, you should be able to daisy chain two of them together to display 8 parameters instead of just 4. I can't justify the cost but it should work if one wanted to do it.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:31 PM   #27
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
sorry, busy weekend. yea I forgot, I had to go with beefyride3. that is me.

like I said before, I haven't been on there in some time. the last time I was on there I was looking at a set of camshafts for my truck that would yield about 50hp and 60ft/lbs....and then gas went to 3+ a gallon. my focus was shifted at that point...and I bought a house.

the cams would have put me in the high 13s but she is still a little rocket. I still enjoy the old truck from time to time.

and back on subject, have fun with the scangauge. try out all the functions so that you can decide what is right for you. also a little trick I thought up (haven't tried it though) with another scangauge and a piece of cat-5 cable, you should be able to daisy chain two of them together to display 8 parameters instead of just 4. I can't justify the cost but it should work if one wanted to do it.
I did some more customizing... I setup an xgauge for MPG/current tank. I am now monitoring MPG instant, MPG/tank, Open/closed loop, and %load on engine. I have several 10 mile highway runs coming up later this week. I really want to see how this does on the highway.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:22 PM   #28
Registered Member

I would say that the engine load is a pretty good one but the open/closed loop one could be changed. over time (if you haven't already) you will stop using full throttle or even more than half. that is the only time other than warm up when most cars are in open loop.

yo can also monitor throttle position which may help more than engine load. maybe in conjunction with engine load. it is a fun little gadget. I am still playing around with the idea of daisy chaining two of them together but I am pretty cheap so it probably won't happen. I would buy one if they sold one that would display 6 items at a time just because I could resell the one I have to make up some of the difference. we can always hope.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #29
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I would say that the engine load is a pretty good one but the open/closed loop one could be changed. over time (if you haven't already) you will stop using full throttle or even more than half. that is the only time other than warm up when most cars are in open loop.

yo can also monitor throttle position which may help more than engine load. maybe in conjunction with engine load. it is a fun little gadget. I am still playing around with the idea of daisy chaining two of them together but I am pretty cheap so it probably won't happen. I would buy one if they sold one that would display 6 items at a time just because I could resell the one I have to make up some of the difference. we can always hope.
I figure throttle position would only be useful while the cruise is on. I know how much I'm pressing the pedal. I think open/closed loop is going to drop off... I'm learning it switches to closed loop pretty quick, even stone cold it switches to closed within 3 minutes A few times I had it display ignition timing advance... That was kinda cool. Not really useful though. I like having the fuel rate displayed though. That seems to be the most useful tidbit I've encountered behind the instant MPG. The one thing I really wish I had, but don't see a SG code for is an ammeter. +/- amps would be nice when monitoring electrical load on the engine and alternator. You can display volts, but to me that's not as good as an ammeter.

Maybe I'm just old school.

-Jay

Old 07-16-2008, 07:47 PM   #30
Registered Member

you could get part of that info from the engine load. it will be a guestimation though. you can also get the air/fuel ratio but I think they are all about 14.7:1 unless you are in open loop. also you can program in horsepower which is a real eye opener. I usually run 30 or less. amazing what your actual HP is vs what your peak is.

now that the hot summer days have come and gone (may come again) and my engine didn't overheat, I am taking off the water temp on mine and I have an extra space on mine. I have instantaneous MPG and trip MPG (the one that resets after every cycle of the cars ignition) and IAT sensor reading. I used to have water temp but now I have a decision to make. I do have time though.

I also have an extra cable that I ordered. they actually sent me two by mistake and told me to keep the other one. I was thinking of selling it. I originally wanted an extra cable to have so I didn't have to undo my setup every time someone wanted me to check their check engine light.