To draft or slow down? - Page 20 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-15-2008, 08:08 AM   #191
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjstagame View Post
The majority are still driving their SUVs at WOT until 100ft before the red light and slamming on their brakes inches from the bumper in front of them. I really hate the drivers here.
Sounds like my sister. She no longer has the Mercury Cougar - drives a Ford Focus now, but she still drives like this. She only gets 23 in her Focus sedan. My brother in law does better than that in his lifted Ford Ranger 4x4 w/ oversize tires.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:21 AM   #192
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver1972 View Post
I strongly believe in the principle of learning that immediate feedback is a very effective way of learning. The immediacy of the feedback is a crucial element in behavior modification...just ask any successful dog trainer or child psychologist (by the way, what works for dogs and children, also works for adults, believe it or not). So, I am providing the other driver immediate feedback that what he/she is currently doing is unacceptable.
I think in theory this works pretty well, but what about the jackass that remains in front of you just to spite you? I think he's trying to "teach" you a lesson too. That spiteful jackass also happens to be me, when I'm not hypermiling at 47mph in the right lane. I'll do 80mph in the left (limit is 70mph) so I feel no need to make concessions at that point.

I had attempted to do some drafting of a semi recently at 65mph, maybe 2 seconds behind it. I don't have any controlled experiments but at the time, it looked as though I'd end up with 39mpg, based on the instantaneous mpg read out from SGII. If I travel around 52-55mph, I'd get around 42mpg (without a draft). That being said, it doesn't seem to be working too well. I think speeds would have be in excess of 70mph to make a real difference for my car.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:57 PM   #193
Registered Member

Speaking of drafting, I took a 60 mile drive from Orange County to Temecula, and I drafted a semi most of the way. The average MPG on that trip was 62 MPG...in my 2007 Yaris, A/T with A/C on. The EPA for my car is 39 HWY. I drafted about 4 car lengths behind the semi, and we were averaging 70 MPH.

I realized a 59% increase in MPG over EPA HWY rating!

Without drafting, this same route would earn me around 42 MPG but only after keeping my speed under 63 MPH and with the A/C off.
MorningGaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:12 PM   #194
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAteam View Post
I think in theory this works pretty well, but what about the jackass that remains in front of you just to spite you? I think he's trying to "teach" you a lesson too. That spiteful jackass also happens to be me, when I'm not hypermiling at 47mph in the right lane. I'll do 80mph in the left (limit is 70mph) so I feel no need to make concessions at that point.
Then don't be suprised when I pass you in the breakdown lane, with the bonus of showering your dumbass with all the debris I can manage to fling up in your path!

A little common courtesy goes a long way bud.

Jim T.

Ignorance is lack of knowing; stupidity is false logic
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:04 AM   #195
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
Then don't be suprised when I pass you in the breakdown lane, with the bonus of showering your dumbass with all the debris I can manage to fling up in your path!

A little common courtesy goes a long way bud.

Jim T.
lol. You're in florida, so this might actually happen! I'll see u on the road!
Old 09-17-2008, 06:56 AM   #196
Site Team / Moderator

I have found from my many years of driving in Florida that there are 2 types of Florida drivers. There are those that go 20 under the speed limit, and those that go 20 over. Since my grandfather died a couple of years ago his car doesn't get driven much anymore. I make a point when visiting Florida to take his car out of the garage and give it a good run down I-95.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:40 AM   #197
Registered Member

I have been both of those kinds of drivers in Florida, lived in the keys for a couple of years right after the Mariel boatlift.

No I just slip in behind a rig with 3 stripes between us and get 58 MPG.

To answer the original question, I advise going slower and drafting, with drafting having the priority. Anything over 63 for me is when I am drafting.

Nice to go that fast on one gallon an hour.

regards
gary
Old 09-17-2008, 11:21 AM   #198
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosco View Post
Law of the universe: "People are stupid."

Anyways, when people do that to me, I simply slow down to the speed limit. If that doesn't work, I slow down even more. I do it gradually, rather than brake-checking. Usually pisses 'em off enough to pass.
If someone is riding my bumper I will first just tap the brake pedal enough to flash the brake lights to let them know to back off and if that doesn't work I start slowing down and they can ride my bumper until they get the chance to pass safely. In my experience most people will back off if you'll flash the brake lights at them, but not all. I am notorious for slowing down if a tractor trailer fails to back off. I figure I'll cost him a little extra drive time. Maybe some of them will learn to be more considerate of other drivers then. Too many of them think they own the roads anyway.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #199

i will agree with there being two types of drivers in florida. personally i am the person going 20 under. my commute is all city with the highest speed limit at 45 for about 3 miles and the rest at 35. i will drive in 5th gear at 25mph the whole way. my car is at idle while doing this and according to the scangauge i am just short of 60mpg. before anyone says anything about my holding up traffic, there are at least two lanes the whole way and i am in the right until i move to the left turn lane.

people around here are bad about tailgating even tho they can safely pass on the left. what i do is touch the brakes to get them to back off. second time i brake a bit harder. third time i brake harder. last time, i slam on brakes and come to a complete stop. if they hit me, its their fault. a dog ran out in front of me...
Ratman667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:52 AM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver1972 View Post

Just do what I do: lay on the horn when they begin to move over and stay on the horn as long as they stay in front of you. Of course, gradually drop back to increase safe following distance at the same time, but make it very clear to them that what they did is not an acceptable manuever.

While this doesn't do much for immediate prevention; perhaps it'll help with long-term prevention, provided enough people do it with enough frequency.
I'm pretty sure it says in the handbook that honking for non-emergency reasons can get you cited. I remember hearing this to in driver's ed.

KrazyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote