Ultra-Gauge beats ScanGauge at ~1/3 the price - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #21

Re: Ultra-Gauge beats ScanGauge at ~1/3 the price

mcc6,

Sorry for the late reply. I'm in a national park, with limited Internet access. The SG and UG are OBDII only. You'll need to build yourself an MPGuino to get the same real-time impg displays.

I'm getting my 46.1 mpg lifetime avg mpg by changing driving habits only. I air the tires up to sidewall maximum, and get all the mpg improvements by driving slower than the PSL, P&Ging, coasting as much as possible, and shutting the engine off at stoplights. If I'm in a 65 mph PSL, I'll typically P&G between 50 and 60 mph. In a 55 PSL, my P&G is ~45-55 mph. If it's a 40 PSL, I'll P&G 25-40 mph, if there's no traffic around. If there's traffic, I'll try to average the PSL (maybe 40-50 mph P&G in a 45 mph PSL zone).

FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #22

I took the xB on an 800+ mile drive to Utah, and got more familiar with the UG. Calibration varied from 1.08 to 1.21, so my initial 1.135 seems pretty close. I'm leaving it at the 1.21 because I'd rather be pleasantly surprised with better mpg at fill-up, than disappointed by optimistic predictions from the UG.

You can tell when the car is in DFCO because the UG displays the open loop indicator in DFCO.

I forgot and left the UG in full sun again, but in 80 degree temperatures with the windows slightly cracked. Its internal temps didn't reach the alarm temperature.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
I took the xB on an 800+ mile drive to Utah, and got more familiar with the UG. Calibration varied from 1.08 to 1.21, so my initial 1.135 seems pretty close. I'm leaving it at the 1.21 because I'd rather be pleasantly surprised with better mpg at fill-up, than disappointed by optimistic predictions from the UG.

You can tell when the car is in DFCO because the UG displays the open loop indicator in DFCO.

I forgot and left the UG in full sun again, but in 80 degree temperatures with the windows slightly cracked. Its internal temps didn't reach the alarm temperature.
I could always tell when I hit DFCO on the SGII because the MPG readout hit 9999 mpg. But I just ordered a UG for grins. I like the bigger readout...
Old 09-08-2010, 12:56 AM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to BamZipPow

Got mine on Tuesday...haven't hooked it up yet. Strange they didn't include a paper copy of the manual in the box. I guess that's part of the cost savings...
Old 09-08-2010, 07:26 AM   #25
Registered Member

That seems to be the way things are going in regards to manuals. The full manual for my garmin is on its flash drive.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:28 AM   #26
Registered Member

This is a nice product i might buy it for my camry. My wife cant seem to get better then 22mpg. So maybe this will help her lol.

RedAccord02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #27
Registered Member

Looks good...another incentive to find an engine for the dead '98 Windstar...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:30 AM   #28
Registered Member

Maybe there is a setting for this? But as far as I know, on the UG you have to manually reset for trips. The SF does this by itself. No biggie, the UG has way more flexibility and bigger readout. So I really love my shiny new UG...
Old 09-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #29

I prefer setting my own trip starts and stops with the UG, v. the SG starting a new trip every time I turn the engine off for a minute and a half.

I've convinced three people associated with Bryce Canyon NP to buy UGs. Two are interested in improving their mpg. The third will use hers to replace a broken speedometer, and to read and clear trouble codes.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
I prefer setting my own trip starts and stops with the UG, v. the SG starting a new trip every time I turn the engine off for a minute and a half.

I've convinced three people associated with Bryce Canyon NP to buy UGs. Two are interested in improving their mpg. The third will use hers to replace a broken speedometer, and to read and clear trouble codes.
I'm just lazy, and don't touch the thing for months. Its definately not a deal breaker. Good deal on getting others to use the UG, maybe with the lower price point, more will see the benefits of watching their driving habits...