What do your passengers think of your driving? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
What do your passengers think of your driving?

The other day I gave some friends a ride in to town, and because I live at the top of a nice long hill I turned the engine off and coasted down, doing a bump start at the bottem of the hill, and no one noticed... the only sign that I did anything was the slight reduction in noise as the engine went from a quite idle, to being compleatly silent, and the alternator light, and low oil presure light coming on a second after I fliped the key off and back on, and of course I try to keep my bump starts smooth.
So is anyone have passengers that don't notice their non standard driving?

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:21 PM   #2
Supporting Member

Ryland -

I usually modify my driving based on the passenger or tell them what I am doing, so they are not surprised. My mom would FREAK if I did EOC. My wife is very tolerant, .

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:36 AM   #3
Registered Member

Wife didnt like the pulse and glide at ALL... After about 10mins she said if I did it any longer she was getting out.... Almost lost myself a passenger LOL J/K.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:50 AM   #4
Registered Member

Apparently, even if you are already speeding, a passenger with a restroom emergency pending gets really annoyed with anything resembling a glide. Cripes, I was doing ten over the limit! :P

Aside from that, most of my effort is centered around coasting to red lights or stops which really doesn't seem to make much of an impact on how quickly we 'get there', so the complaints are minimal. I think my wife is more annoyed that I manage to get nearly 40 mpg doing the same trip where she barely gets over 30.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:44 AM   #5

I try to not EOC as much with passengers because they tend to get scared. I will do it with my wife in the car though - she's used to it.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:22 AM   #6
Registered Member

My G/F thinks somethings wrong with me! I used to drive "jerky". Short shifting, and smooth acceleration is throwing her off. She thinks someting if wrong with me. Then I point to my trip meter! I say Look, 423 miles, and I have almost 1/4 a tank left!
Old 06-25-2007, 08:43 AM   #7
Registered Member

GF hasn't noticed.
Of course I don't EOC or anything.
I also use the A/C when she's in the car... Some sacrifices you gotta make.

bbgobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:47 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Had my family in the xB yesterday to visit the Vets cemetary where Dad is and ran highway with AC on up to 80mph - nice tail wind and moving van to draft helps the mileage a lot. Car ran great but tough keeping it cool at those speeds - the AC does better at lower speed. Tank fillup was about 42+ mpg after 250 miles of highway. Did a few coasts that they didn't notice but they try to use less brake when they drive their gas guzzlers already so it was all cool.

I don't know why people complain about the xB not having enough power when I ran with four adults and junk in the trunk yesterday and had plenty of getup and go.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:30 AM   #9
Registered Member

I dont care what they think. They can walk if they have a issue.

psy
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:45 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
What got me really thinking about this topic was reading news paper articals where the writer wrote about how dangerus hypermilers are, and that the fear they inflict on their passengers, and the danger they put other drivers on the road in wasn't worth the gas they save, and altho I'm not in the top 10, it's not because I don't try, I tend to haul tools, and have passengers, and make more short trips then is really reasonable.
I was a bit shocked when I started reading those news paper articals that were basicly asking people not to change their driving style, because I've rarely had passengers make negative comments about my attempts at driving more effecintly, the most commen thing that they do notice is driveway bump starts, and that is just because the chain of events stands out as being out of order when the car starts to move befor the engine starts.
The only person that I remember who didn't like my driving was a few years ago when I got my license, the person over seeing the test said that if I was going to coast to a stop sign was of the opinion that the car should be in gear, the clutch could be disingauged, but he wanted the gear shift to be in gear.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote