2013 Malibu Eco - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-28-2012, 06:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

2013 Malibu Eco

I traded in my 2008 Honda Accord for a 2013 Malibu Eco.

The Eco really isn't a hybrid although it does have an engine cut off feature when at a full stop.

According to Car and Driver " The system includes an all-in-one motor/generator that replaces the alternator, connected to 32 lithium-ion cells jammed into a 65-pound battery pack located aft of the rear seat. Via a rubber belt, the electric motor/generator—built in China, with no permanent magnets—contributes a bonus 15 horses to the crankshaft, mostly under wide-open throttle. Fun fact: The belt has a duty life of 75,000 miles. The Eco’s gas engine displaces 2.4 liters and produces 182 horsepower. Combined, engine and motor are expected to deliver 26 mpg in the city and 38 on the highway "

I now have 176 miles on the odometer and have averaged 27 mpg with about 60% city/ 40% highway driving.

Resetting the odometer I have acheived 38 mpg on the hwy.

What is crazy is that an early 90's Honda could get 55 mpg althoughI bet adding all the bells and whistles the new cars have if this would be lower.

The only reason I bought this was that I got screwed on the used Honda Accord back in July of 2011 so for another year payment and a bit higher monthly payment I got a car that gets better gas mileage and is much more comfortable.

tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Yup, the early 1990s was definitely the golden age of fuel economy.

I wouldn't worry about that 27mpg yet. Brand new cars get better fuel economy after they break in. I experimented with different shifting patterns when I got my 2008 VW, and I thought every new experiment beat the last one...but in hindsight I'm pretty sure it was just break-in. Hopefully someone remembers to bump this thread after you have 15,000 miles on it or so, so we can see some long-term results after break-in.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:14 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
What is crazy is that an early 90's Honda could get 55 mpg althoughI bet adding all the bells and whistles the new cars have if this would be lower.
Yeah, but what annoys me is the auto manufacturers thinking we "all" want those bells and whistles.

Sure give me crush zone crash protection, airbags, and a radio would be nice... keep all your other crap, I don't want it!

Too bad they won't ever, EVER, EVVEEEERRRRR consider building a true "economy" car again. I think somewhere around 2003 or 2004 is when we swept that idea under the rug and they've just been adding more and more crap to the cars ever since. Making them heavy, more expensive, and more "appealing".

Guess I better go change the oil in my 2001 Saturn, I'm relying on it to last me another 10 years afterall. Or like last time I bought a car, I might just look for another low mileage Saturn to leave in the garage for a few years until it's needed. No new cars for me!
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Too bad they won't ever, EVER, EVVEEEERRRRR consider building a true "economy" car again.
I believe the Versa sedan qualifies as true economy. The radio is optional on the Smart fortwo.

My wife hates the square barcodes for smart phones on ads. Usually the info and deals there aren't even on the companies main webpage. But times change. It wasn't that long ago cell phones were rare. Now smart phones are common enough that Chevy ditched the nav option on the Spark for an app that links the phone up to the car for navigation, because most shoppers will have one. It's just $50 compared to the usually $2000 for a factory nav system.

You can still order many models without all the bells and whistles. Some even without automatics.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
Registered Member

Update: I have about 9,000 miles on the odometer and driving 75 mph on straight highway I can average about 36 mpg. With 60% City / 40% Hwy I average about 29.5 mpg.
Very comfortable car.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
Registered Member

Not bad. In steady state driving, the eAssist isn't going to contribute much to reducing fuel economy beyond allowing a slighter smaller ICE. It does appear to be helping with the city MPG.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
Registered Member

Now if I could just get out from under the car payment. LOL
Old 07-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
Site Team / Moderator

I can't wait till I'm free of my payments too.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote