Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hybrid Vehicles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

Home Built Hybrid

Re: Low cost AC drive motor / homebuilt hybrid retrofit
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Here's some info & pics of a guy hybridizing a Ford Aspire. Grafted a front half shaft & hub on one of the rear wheels:

Thread: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/86112

Pic 1:

Pic 2:
Just within this last week, I had a similar idea pop into my head for my 98 Civic Cx. I'm glad to see that someone else was way ahead of me with proof of concept because until now, I just thought that this was an idea that had only existed in my mind.

This is link is now closed; but I would love to know exactly how this guy hybridized his Ford Aspire . If anyone else has seen it, I'm hoping that someone here had a chance to save this posting? If not, then I think that we should all revisit this topic so as to make another prototype a version reality. Whom ever he was, this guy is really on to something. I'm game to be the guinea pig, so let see if we can all put our heads together on this.
Davo53209 is offline Reply With Quote

Davo53209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Home Built Hybrid

I have seen a TORQUE -HELPER hybrid, which is a giant motor that takes place of the alternator and helps low end torque, via the crank shaft pully. It only fits a few cars engine bays.

My idea (and I'm suprised GM etc. didn't figure this one out.) is to have a standard front wheel drive layout. Remove the rear trailing arms, and bolt in an EV motor, with half shafts going to each wheel.

In city mode, the engine would just idle, as the EV motor pushed you along. I imagine this could be built with current EV parts, ie. motor, battery pack, controller, for cheap. Figure a bolt in kit, under 10 grand.

The ideling motor would do things like run brake lights, wipers, heater A/C, and charge the battery pack. Maybe an extra pedal for just the EV motor, or hand control.

GasSavers_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
My idea (and I'm suprised GM etc. didn't figure this one out.) is to have a standard front wheel drive layout. Remove the rear trailing arms, and bolt in an EV motor, with half shafts going to each wheel.
Peugeot is using this layout.
http://www.peugeot.co.uk/vehicles/pe...-3008-hybrid4/
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
DRW
Registered Member

An idling engine is not running in it's most efficient range. The best range to run most automobile gas engines is around 75% throttle and low rpm, usually around 1200 to 2500 rpm depending on displacement. That's why Pulse and Glide technique works so well.

If you just need a gas engine to recharge the battery, look at small gas generators, or even better a small diesel generator.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:45 AM   #5

Such as the terribly clever Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust!
Wyldesoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
Registered Member

My question to the forum is what would it take, to keep the car from spinning out of control with this kind of set up? The idea appears to be that the gas engine would need to be in neutral, while the EV motor becomes activated. That would be fine off of an initial start, if the EV motor initiated the acceleration of the car; but what if you were traveling at 55mpg off of the gas engine & needed to accelerate with the EV motor? What could be a viable solution? What I may need to better understand is how the rear axle would need to be modified.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
DRW
Registered Member

I think you'd need a clutch on both the engine and electric motor so they can either supply power or coast independently of the other. A one way clutch can supply power to the wheel when the motor is on while instantly disengaging when power is off. But it can't push the car in reverse so the gas engine needs to have a reverse gear.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
You know, I am wondering if two modifide half shafts placed towards the rear tires is what's being seen in the above photo. Do you think it could work this way?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
KLP
Registered Member

I have been planning this same type project except I was planning to use a rear axle from a small light rear wheel drive car such as an older toyota corolla or such. Attach the elec motor to the differential and use a sprocket/chain set up so you could experiment with different drive ratios. My concerns are will it need some type of clutch and what type to use, or will the elec motor be ok spinning when not in use? It may be too much of a drag when not in use? Maybe use a motor/generator so when not in motor mode the gen will charge the battery? I have read somewhere else about a motor/generator but have not researched it. I was thinking this set up would be of use when you accelerate or climbing hills as a power boost. Just flip on a switch mounted on your shift knob when you wanted the extra power.
KLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:40 AM   #10
Registered Member

[QUOTE=KLP;165941] My concerns are will it need some type of clutch and what type to use, or will the elec motor be ok spinning when not in use? It may be too much of a drag when not in use?

You know I've wondered about the same thing concerning the EV motor when it's not in use. I'm glad that you brought this up. What I could do is to contact NetGain Motors INC. for their in site upon this matter.

In addition to that is another main concern that I've mentioned. If the sprocket was configured to the axle on one side of the car (i.e. as illustrated in the above picture) would the the drag from the EV motor cause the car to spin out when activated?