Honda Insight Mk1 - Page 7 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hybrid Vehicles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2016, 11:47 PM   #61
Registered Member

Thanks, that's the point down at Fairborne, a real beauty spot with 360 panoramic views of stunning mountains and the estuary/sea. Phone pic doesn't really do it justice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160503_223958.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	2119  

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:29 AM   #62
Registered Member

Nice pics - car looks beautiful, great colour and I have always especially loved the Insights wheels. I'm hoping to get a better fill up later today, afraid I had been booting it a lot on the last tank...!

Old 05-07-2016, 05:12 AM   #63
LDB
Registered Member

Wow, you've sneaked in 4 fuel-ups since the last time I noticed when the car was new. I must have slept more than I realized. It looks like pretty good mpg so far and maybe will go up a little now that it's broken in although I don't know if cars really "break in" anymore like they did a few decades ago.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:00 PM   #64
Registered Member

Ha! Nearly up to 2,000 miles - as this car is so much nicer to drive, I've been taking it out extra, just for a drive. Not something the i20 ever encouraged! If i'm honest, I've no real idea what I'm doing, and haven't sussed the one best eco driving method for a Hybrid yet. I knew (or thought I knew) how best to drive a diesel for efficiency. I'm not sure about the whole "breaking in" thing either.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:06 AM   #65
Registered Member

You don't need to break modern engines in, they are all tested under extreme conditions in the factory to test there are no faulty components. Nissan for example rev the engine at max rpm for a whole 24 hours! But you may notice economy rising as you put more miles on the clock anyway.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:36 AM   #66
Registered Member

Those skinny tires on that Insight. Sure look to be for economy on purpose. I wonder how much good they do? Not if, but how much.
On the Prius. Am sure they have large tires like my Corolla. I have 205/65 16's. I am sure they are a large part of what makes driving my car nice and enjoyable. I notice you keep commenting on enjoying driving that Prius. I can relate.
I can see on my computer how the battery/electric would help. Any little rise in elevation and the mpg drops down from max.
I like the looks of that Insight. It looks designed to keep air flow going around the back of the car.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #67
Registered Member

Tyres account for 20% of your fuel economy, we have ratings here from A-G for both economy and wet braking. The difference in fuel consumption between an A and a G is about 7-10% it's thought that of the lifetime of the tyre, an A rated tyre will save you enough in fuel to buy another set. More info here:

Full Guide To The EU Tyre Label | Blackcircles.com

And yes, aerodynamics were key in the Insights development, it's still one of the most aerodynamic cars ever produced apparently. Love this little thing already!

Old 05-09-2016, 05:21 AM   #68
Registered Member

The only thing breaking in on a new car are the tires. Their rolling resistance is higher when new. So you'll see an improvement once that top layer of rubber is gone.

Other than that, I'd say it is mostly the driver getting use to a new car on their daily route. Going from a manual diesel to an eCVT hybrid is a big change, and some techniques for economy that work with one may not work with the other.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #69
Registered Member

Cheers -very impressed with my drive to work today, 86.1 mpg (imp) indicated over 24 miles. Now, I'm the first to warn of believing a cars computer - especially after that lying sh1t Hyundai! - but as each of my 4 brim to brim fills was only 2-3 mpg under the computer trip estimate, maybe that was an 80 mpg run...?! Absolutely love the car! Still jealous I don't have that Mk1 Insight though, roll on a lottery win...
Old 05-09-2016, 10:37 AM   #70
Registered Member

Ben sell the Prius, you can buy 10 mk1s for that price, and if they all increase in value by a couple of thousand in a few years, you'll make money too! Just kidding!

It's a good little car though, I want to keep it as long as I can afford to.