Hybrid Vehicle - Maintenance Issues? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-16-2021, 08:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hybrid Vehicle - Maintenance Issues?

Hi
For anyone out there with a Hybrid car (Specifically 2019-2021 recent makes), have you have any major issues that needed to be repaired? Like engine stuff or the battery swapped out, anything involving a mechanic.

I’m debating springing for the Hybrid but want to understand the decision better here. Do you Hybrid owners find it is more expensive to maintain these types from the shop or is it rather simple and clean, just taking care of it well?

Thanks

atlania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 04:39 AM   #2
Registered Member

I doubt hybrids have any big inherent problems, but I don't own one so don't listen to me.

If I were interested in a particular hybrid, I'd search for some user groups for that car and begin following owner experiences. That's valuable feedback.

Old 12-21-2021, 06:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

Just don't buy an older/high mileage one and the battery should be fine. My hybrid battery died shortly after purchase, and the cost of replacement was 50% of the cars value, and was only expected to last another 3-5 years anyway. After switching off the hybrid system, the car returned identical fuel economy anyway, so is it really worth the extra expense? In my opinion no. Hybrids are good for boosting performance, which many manufacturers are now focusing on, nobody wants to spend tens of thousands on a car that is slow and save a few hundred at the pumps. I'd much rather have 350-400 bhp and still be able to drive 35 miles on electric only, there's no compromise then.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:41 AM   #4
Registered Member

Avoid the the first gen Insight, and Civic hybrids with NiMH battery. Honda failed on the battery management system in pursuit of MPGs, leading to early battery failure for many.

On a whole, the other models have been pretty reliable, with the battery lasting the life of the car. Some even have seen regular service as taxis. I wouldn't expect any more issues from a hybrid in comparison to its ICE brand mates.

Some hybrids may have specific issues, like the gen3 Prius EGR could clog up, but you'll find info on those more readily at a model specific site.

Quote:
Hybrids are good for boosting performance,
That has always been the hidden point. In a hypothetical ICE Prius with economy approaching the hybrid, you would find the performance intolerable. You'd have to go back the '70s, maybe early '80s, economobiles to find such acceleration rates.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hybrid tax | Xl1 »