Making the car "Hybrid" - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hybrid Vehicles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2006, 03:59 PM   #11
XFi
Registered Member

Thread revisited

Was pondering the idea of (in the future) making my Metro XFi a hybrid. Found this old thread and thought I would post it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capcom
I guess it would be wonderful if the whole systems weight is no more around 150 - 200 kg and a cheap lightweigth 10-20hp electric motor can be found.
My car is an Opel "Vectra B". and i will have to find a cheap "4x4" Opel "Calibra" differential from the junkyard...
Just like Capcom was saying, I was thinking about installing a 4x4 Transaxle into the Metro. Don't know exactly where they were produced (not in the US) but I know there are 4x4 vehicles out there on the Metro Platform. Specifically I have seen the Suzuki Cultus. I still have to read up alot more on this vehicle to see about fitment, but it should fit. The rear output shaft would be mated to the electric motor/generator. Don't think I am ever going to reinstall my passenger seat, so the motor can even be mounted into the passenger compartment.

Has anyone dabbled with this idea? Can anyone point me in the right direction for info? Thoughts?

Join us for the November 22, 2008 Pennsylvania Meet at Cabela's!
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....634#post121634
XFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:02 PM   #12
*shrug*

My idea of a DIY hybrid has always been to just build an EV and then add a small generator to the back so that I could be like, EV!!! and then if i needed more range I could be like, hybrid!!!

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:41 PM   #13
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
My idea of a DIY hybrid has always been to just build an EV and then add a small generator to the back so that I could be like, EV!!! and then if i needed more range I could be like, hybrid!!!
This actually might be the direction the n600 takes someday. Considering the lack of space for batteries, I could put about 4 batteries in the back for short trips and a generator in the back as well for longer trips.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:46 PM   #14
Tuggin at the surly bonds

I think it would be kinda involved to change the front or rear suspension/differential to add an electric motor. I do think about it though. The hardest thing seems to be in getting an electric motor to turn some wheels. I have wondered if it would be possible to take an electric motor that has shafts on either end (as many do), and put it inline with the driveshaft of a rear wheel drive configuration. This way it could drive with the electric motor at slow speeds (clutch disconnected), use the ICE at higher speeds (clutch engaged), and maybe use both at medium speeds. If the elec motor could move the car from 0 to 10 mph, it could even replace the starter and alternator (to displace some wieght). This way you could have the engine-off when coasting, when stopped, and at low speeds.

(drawing links don't give example but are shown for reference)
Old 06-13-2006, 09:49 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveredwings
I think it would be kinda involved to change the front or rear suspension/differential to add an electric motor. I do think about it though. The hardest thing seems to be in getting an electric motor to turn some wheels. I have wondered if it would be possible to take an electric motor that has shafts on either end (as many do), and put it inline with the driveshaft of a rear wheel drive configuration. This way it could drive with the electric motor at slow speeds (clutch disconnected), use the ICE at higher speeds (clutch engaged), and maybe use both at medium speeds. If the elec motor could move the car from 0 to 10 mph, it could even replace the starter and alternator (to displace some wieght). This way you could have the engine-off when coasting, when stopped, and at low speeds.
I've seen this done! Madison WI tec school entered in the Futere Truck Competition, I think it was last year, they get a ford explorer, or expedition or something, and it has to meet all the origonal proformance clames, speed, acceloration, towing, safty, and while doing all those tests, they check gas mileage, they got 54mpg with a hybrid diesel drive train, the electric motor was part of the drive shaft that drove the rear wheels, and the person I talked to said it worked great! so my thought is take a car like the Subaru Justy 4 Wheel Drive (a suzuki clone?) and replace the drive shaft with an electric motor, or remove the drive shaft, and have electric rear wheel drive only, simaler to how Toyota is going to do their Lexus SUV, I would try this but my Subaru Justy is the rare 2 wheel drive modle, and I have other plans for it, it was roled, and just needs a new front strut, and the roof cut off... Subaru Elcamino! if all else fails, it becomes a go-kart
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:41 AM   #16
Driving on E

This would be the perfect project for a Civic 4WD Wagovan. There is plenty of room for batteries, it already has the 4WD installed, and it's hella cute :P
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:35 AM   #17
Registered Member

I think that the best bang-for-your-buck way to make a normal gasoline car into a "hybrid" is to add a stand-alone electric drivetrain to allow for low speed "EV Creep" in stop-and-go traffic. I forget his name, but a guy has done this to his Insight since IMA doesn't really do pure EV like a Prius. The configuration involved a fifth, small wheel that drops down from the rear of the car on some kind of a boom. I don't know how it is controlled, but an electric motor provides power via this wheel as a completely separate drivetrain with the gasoline engine turned off.

This might not get you regenerative braking, but I do believe it would improve overall efficiency if you do a lot of city driving. It also eliminates the extreme difficulty of coupling an electric motor to the existing drivetrain and then trying to work out the control systems. The down side is that the weight would be a detriment to highway driving.