New Camry Hybrid... cool display! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hybrid Vehicles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
Driving on E

New Camry Hybrid... cool display!

The new Camry hybrid is coming out... While I think the mpg sucks, the onboard display is pretty cool.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:44 PM   #2
Registered Member

Lump

I've rented Camrys (in both sport suspension "SE" trim and floaty "LE" trim), and the driving experience is just plain BLAND. The ergonomics and reliability is top-notch, but the braking and handling is just numb -- what a lump. Granted, I'll choose it over the Buick at the rental stall, but I just can't see buying one when the Accord line, including the Hybrid is exciting to drive. Even the Lexus line suffers (ES 330 is a Camry in a Tux and has fewer features than a Toyota Avalon).

BUT

I have to commend Toyota for its commitment to making a Hybrid available in all of its models by 2009, and their groundbreaking efforts in this arena. The Pruis is the benchmark, but I still wouldn't buy one. I drive too many highway miles for it to be worthwile (and the EPA estimates are way off). That's why I'd really benefit from a diesel or diesel/electric hybrid.

RH77

Old 01-10-2006, 04:47 PM   #3
Registered Member

yea i've had toyotas,

yea i've had toyotas, nessans, and kias, as rentals and there all bland compared to my peppy civic. if i ever buy myown brand new car it will be honda (i'd buy a delorian but there ovusly not new :P)

also that screen is nothing but a LCD vidieo display running off a ecu/PCcomputer combo. think of the moniter as just that a moniter for the PC. i've heard that with a little probing or splicing / soldering u can display normal composit vidieo on it. just like a flipdown dvd screen.

Need this stuff gone!
https://www.honda-tech.com/zero...67053[/B]
GasSavers_Diemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #4
*shrug*

Does anyone know why they

Does anyone know why they don't have cool **** like this on the civic hybrid? My girlfriend's new hybrid has the suckiest display, and the MPG gauge is just a half-assed bar. WTF mate?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
Registered Member

Re: Does anyone know why they

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Does anyone know why they don't have cool **** like this on the civic hybrid? My girlfriend's new hybrid has the suckiest display, and the MPG gauge is just a half-assed bar. WTF mate?
TF is that Toyota and Honda have 2 different design philosophies. Take a look at the Prius and the Civic Hybrid. Honda takes the more conservative approach, while the Prius looks like something from the future. Same for the interiors -- the Prius looks nothing like its platform-mate, the Echo (now discon'd) -- inside you have a funky shifter, high-tech display, etc. The Civic looks like any other Civic on the inside and out -- that was their aim. "Green under the radar".

The TSX with Navi has a better fuel economy display, I agree. BUT the aim of the new Civic interior is to enhance the safety of those inside and outside the vehicle by keeping critical components at a "glance" away from the driver's eye. The IMA guage is right there in front. Frankly, when I drove the Pruis, I found the big screen distracting and too much info. I liked the IMA display becuase it shows charge and assist.

Last, the Prius' Hybrid Synergy Drive is a full-hybrid, where the Civic is a mild-hybrid -- the charging/operating system is different.

RH77

P.S. Congrats on finding an economy-minded gal ;-)
Old 01-19-2006, 04:19 PM   #6
*shrug*

Quote:P.S. Congrats on

Quote:
P.S. Congrats on finding an economy-minded gal Eye-wink
I prolly made her like that, she didn't want an insight, two seats isn't enough, I guess she's just programmed like that. I haven't needed a third seat since I've had the car.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:29 PM   #7
Registered Member

This probably deserves another thread, so...

I need to shift this to another thread about spouses or "significant others"...

RH77