Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #11
Registered Member

Mine gets 60+ US MPG.

1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #12
Registered Member

Smaller is an asset in many places, maybe not on the freeway at 60+mph, but in the city (a real city, not some Pittsfield) it shines.

Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:10 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
Smaller is an asset in many places, maybe not on the freeway at 60+mph, but in the city (a real city, not some Pittsfield) it shines.
Smart be nice in the back of my trailer too, but, for only two people, I'd be better off with a couple bigger mopeds. I could get four people around with them.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
Hate to harp on the Smart Car --but it gets much worse FE and is much smaller--which totally defies logic.
Worse FE than a golf? Which golf? The imaginary diesel electric hybrid that will never reach production or the 2.5 liter gasoline powered lump they sell to teenagers?
dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:18 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Worse FE than a golf? Which golf? The imaginary diesel electric hybrid that will never reach production or the 2.5 liter gasoline powered lump they sell to teenagers?
My lump is up to 34.5 MPG, pretty decent for its heavy weight, relatively large-displacement, powercentric tune, and excessively low gearing.

The GTI, which for our purposes is the same lump with a different engine and transmission (2.0 turbo, 6 speed but no taller gearing) commonly gets 40mpg, and a hypermiler could surely get 45. Someone willing to change out one gear for something taller could easily get 55 from it, and 45 from the 2.5l Rabbit.

It's not designed for FE, but it's pretty close, and it's got a lot of other things going for it.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:40 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD26 View Post
Smart be nice in the back of my trailer too, but, for only two people, I'd be better off with a couple bigger mopeds. I could get four people around with them.

LOL, this from a Ford owner!
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:57 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
Hey now, you just wait--Pittsfield will be the cultural mecca of the Berkshires. Just you wait and see!! It's in the process of a face-lift.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:11 AM   #18
Registered Member

Ships builders have finally realized that Diesel electric can be one of the most economical modes of transportation. Finally auto manuf. have seen the same power plants can be fit into smaller cars. A Diesel Elect hybird. ( not really DE's have been around for 50 years in ships and tugs.)
Dodge was talking about a DE Truck 6 years ago and it never made it off the drawing board. That was taking the Cummins engine that already boasts 20MPG for a 3/4 ton truck on avg and improving it 2 fold.
Question is what is not to love? Why has Detroit taken so long to embrace an idea that Euorpe and SW asia have jumped at?
Maine_cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:04 AM   #19
Registered Member

I started another thread here about Mahindra planning to import a small diesel truck into the US in 2009. In 2010 they are planning on importing a diesel hybrid version of the truck.

Why is it a manfacturor from India is putting a truck like this through EPA testing and nothing from the Big, Slow Three? I did notice that Dodge has the new Challenger out now! That thing must be selling like crazy with todays gas prices
dm1333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:25 AM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm1333 View Post
I did notice that Dodge has the new Challenger out now! That thing must be selling like crazy with todays gas prices
I know that was sarcasm, but...
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/2008c...f.jsp?id=24894
18/26 combined 21 beats large SUVs easily and still offers a desirable package that people will want to buy so they can look cool.