Backup suggestion - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #1
Registered Member

Backup suggestion

I recently upgraded to Android Marshmallow and wanted to take advantage of the ability to adopt an SD card as extended internal storage. I did a full backup of aCar from within the app and replaced the SD card with a new one. After reinstalling aCar on the new card, all my data was back again. Nice work! Unfortunately I did fill up once after I backed up and forgot to do another backup before switching over.

It would be nice if there was an option to automatically back up after any data event (e.g. record fill up or service) rather than just a monthly option. That would take care of situations like this and really make an already great backup story even better.

Colin

colin_young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:24 AM   #2
Registered Member

Probably not happening for a couple of reasons.
1. If you pay for the Pro version, you can backup manually, hourly, daily, and weekly. While it’s not the same as backing up after entering an event, it’s likely that a daily update would work for your purposes.
2. They’re already working to integrate aCar with Fuelly. So everything will be stored in the cloud anyway which makes local backups irrelevant.

ohyeahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:34 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hmm.

1. I do (or did) have the pro version. I'll have to make sure I reinstalled the unlock code. A daily backup would be exactly what I need.

2. I'm not sure how my data got restored. Initially I tried to manually find the backup, but couldn't -- obviously because I swapped SD cards, but I had thought I had stuck in on my Google drive. But then today I noticed it was up-to-date with the latest backups all the way to 2 days ago (1 day ago I swapped the SD cards). So it must be doing some auto cloud backup.

I'll have to re-check after restoring the pro version.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:41 PM   #4
Registered Member

I'm kinda not following what you're doing.
Are you saving your backups specifically to the SD card? Otherwise, the default location is the internal storage. Performing a backup does not wipe the local data. So even if you remove your SD card, the data will still be in the app.
Also, "After reinstalling aCar on the new card, all my data was back again."
If you're just switching SD cards out, there shouldn't be a need to reinstall the app (aCar should be saved on the device itself, not the SD card).
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

I'm about 95% certain that I had aCar installed on the SD card under Android 5. I know, not supposed to, certain things won't work, blah, blah blah. Unless you had explicitly set the flags preventing me from making my own decisions about where the app was installed I was running it on the SD card. I don't recall aCar being one of those.

I do know that when I popped a new card in and adopted it as internal storage, aCar was no longer installed. I was also unable to locate the backups on the old SD card since the application folders are encrypted. However all my data and backups until Saturday were there on my phone on Monday morning (I put the new card in Sunday) and I have no idea how they got there.

In any case, it sounds like at some point in the future there is going to be some sort of migration or something that will give us cloud backups, so my original suggestion is going to be taken care of by that.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:51 AM   #6
Registered Member

You can install Dropbox on SD card, then you can sync data automatically.

sulewel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup, restore