1963 VW Bus - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
DTA
Registered Member

1963 VW Bus

Hey everyone I have been battling for years with my old bus and trying to get the best gas mileage, and I have heard of hypermiling but never attempted it. My friend from the UK is obsessed with getting the best mileage out of his 1954 bus and he got me hooked, and well I'm curious to see what its capable of getting trying some of the forum techniques. Also I just recently traded my 1960 VW bug for a 96 civic cx with the excuse of getting a fuel efficient and a more dependable "normal" car. I will be tracking both cars using some techniques and eager to see how the Bus does. I guess some future plans for the bus are going to be a newer more modern engine swap with a programmable ecu and trying some different wheel options, there aren't many out there though.

DTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

Welcome! The best thing to do is create entries for your vehicles in our garage on this site, then enter all of your fuel purchases. You need to know where you're at right now to be able to gauge what's working for you, and what's not.

http://www.gassavers.org/garage/add

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
Registered Member

I've been waiting for an old bug or bus to show up on this forum for a while. Look forward to seeing the pics and gaslog!
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
DTA
Registered Member

Thanks Jay2therescue I just created a log. Fetch thanks man my bug used to see great gas mileage but i had to choose between comfort over style and traded the bug. On long trips the bug and bus get great mileage. I had to learn to drive an extremely under powered car. I read the 201 tips to save gas and found myself doing most of what was written on there on my own. There are a lot of variables in an aircooleds gas mileage. You have to do the valves every time you do an oil change. Checking your dwell and timing often or when you notice a difference in power or consumption. Most of my log will probably consist of the civic because its now my daily driver. i retired the bus for a while to pull the transmission and motor to reseal a few leaks and tweak a few things.
DTA is offline   Reply With Quote