1992 Civic VX FYI - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #11
Registered Member

Re: 1992 Civic VX FYI

My car is a 1992 so it works out for me. My book is also not missing any pages.

theblade2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #12
Registered Member

Ok I got the head on the car and grounded all the proper points and even a few more, I had to change out a few other hoses so it has been taking me a while. I plan I firing it up a little later. As for the compression I probably wont have the results for a bit as i usually let the engine run for a bit to let the valves seat. I will update you on my progress

Old 03-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #13
Registered Member

Ok my car is fixed! So i think i need to add that i bought this car from el paso and it was totally pieced together by somebody who knew nothing about this car. The block and head are the correct parts but when I bought the car had the wrong computer in it when I bought it. I could not find a p07-a00 computer at the junk yard so i bought one on ebay. Based on the troubleshooting from the book i had a feeling that the computer that I bought was bad. I put my head back on and grounded the hell out of the car and the engine still ran like crap. I happen to buy another computer and got it in the mail today. The engine runs like a champ. At least I got a rebuilt head new head bolts and a new gasket out of it and now I know this engine like the back of my hand. if anyone needs help fell free to ask questions.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #14
Registered Member

with my vx, it will only idle at 550 if all accessories are turned off. If you turn the fan to 1 or turn the lights on it goes up to 900 or 1000.
GasSavers_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #15
Registered Member

Same for me James. Does anyone's RPMs sometimes drop when idling, almost as if it's slightly below the lowest typical idle mark for a split second before blipping itself up, to say 750 RPMs, then coming to a rest at 550 again?
Old 03-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #16
Lean Burn Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
with my vx, it will only idle at 550 if all accessories are turned off. If you turn the fan to 1 or turn the lights on it goes up to 900 or 1000.
On my Sons Honda and my wife's Del Sol both used to do what your describing. Honda seems to have some very sensitive Injector Battery Correction's.

We fixed it by cleaning all the ground wires and adding a few more.

Also make sure the ECT sensor connections are very clean.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:38 AM   #17
Registered Member

Injector Battery Correction?
Old 03-14-2011, 08:41 AM   #18
Registered Member

I ran into this issue through my trouble shooting. Any little accessory that is running actually increases the idle quite a bit. When i was trying to adjust the idle I forgot at first that I still had the heater fan on high as I was burping all the air out of the system. This gave me an inaccurate setting. I read the helms manual and it specifically states that you need to have every little accessory completely off when setting the idle. When you unplug the idle control unit on the back of the intake in order to set the idle, and then say turn on the lights or something while it is unplugged the car will not auto adjust and the idle will actually lower. So when the load is put on the electrical system, the computer must auto correct and increase the idle to compensate, kind of like the AC relay does on pretty much every other car i have ever worked on.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #19
Registered Member

Welcome to gassavers.org!

My Dad just bought a '94 VX to compliment his '94 Civic CX and I myself daily drive an '89 CRX HF. so I'm sure we'll be bumping into one another quite a bit. Welcome (sincerely and non-facetiously this time)!
doctorgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by add|ct View Post
Does anyone's RPMs sometimes drop when idling, almost as if it's slightly below the lowest typical idle mark for a split second before blipping itself up, to say 750 RPMs, then coming to a rest at 550 again?
Yes, my '94's been doing just that for a long, long time. If I wasn't so busy, alright lazy, I'd get around to fixing it. Good chance it's a vacuum leak and/or the idle control valve. You may notice it does not occur if you're using electrical accessories or lights. The alternator demand compensator will keep the engine speed from falling so low.