2008 VW Rabbit in RI - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-22-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Thumbs up 2008 VW Rabbit in RI

New member here, I've got a 2008 VW Rabbit. I've already entered my detailed complete gaslog dating back to when I bought the car in February.

I don't have and don't plan any significant modifications to my leased car unless they can pay for themselves before I return it and can't cause any warranty or lease problems. I considered tires but they won't pay for themselves. I am probably going to get a ScanGauge II, though; it will probably pay for itself, and even if not it's still something I'd really like, and I can use it on other vehicles too.

I've mainly modified my driving habits. For years I've already minimized braking, and I've always preferred low shift points for the lack of commotion of a high-revving engine. With my first manual transmission, now I'm able to experiment more with shift points and throttle. I've beat the EPA rating from day 1.

One strategy I discovered recently was maximizing the use of DFCO. I didn't know it exists, but now instead of shifting to neutral as soon as I know I'm going to stop, I ride my current gear as long as I can. I've decided that DFCO happens on this car at 990 rpm; I can feel the engine kick in just as the needle edges below 1000. So, if I know I'm definitely going to have to idle at a red light, I immediately brake down to 1200 rpm and stretch the amount of time above 1000 rpm as long as I can. I sometimes downshift (non-rev-matched; don't need it when the difference is only 200 rpm) to keep it above 1000.

My commute is 60% town/country, 40% freeway. It is 38 miles each way and approximately like this:
17 red lights / stop signs
0 to 5 stops behind left-turning cars
14 mi 20-60 mph (country roads)
16.5 mi 70-85 mph (this is the freeway portion)
7.3 mi 40-60 mph
1 mi 20 mph (my neighborhood and the long driveway at work)

Old 04-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
WOW goes to show you how much mileage has improved with the "Rabbit"! My 1980 Rabbit 1.5 liter 4 speed CIS injected car used to get a very consistant 27mpg until I modified the injection system and added Slick50 engine treatment and Gear treatment and Amsoil to the tranny. Got the miles up to about 38mpg after than. Here it is 28 years later and you are getting the same mileage!

Welcome to GasSavers!

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Heheheh...my 2008 Rabbit weighs almost as much as my 1980 Buick LeSabre. I could park three Rabbits in the LeSabre -- one in the trunk, one in the cabin, one under the hood. OTOH, I could drive the Rabbit across the country and back in half the time it would take the Buick to get across once.

Modern cars are heavy and powerful...so IMO it's great if a similarly-sized car gets the same mileage.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
Registered Member

WTF? A VW Rabbit only get's 27mpg?!!

Take it back.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Yeah 170 HP they keep making it faster and faster 5 cylinder is a big thing with VW for some reason . . . I guess I need to look at a crank in that engine to see what makes it so great.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:40 AM   #6
Registered Member

The EPA rating for the 2008 Rabbit is pretty lame by your standards: 22/28. I'm here to learn, ask questions, and observe; but fuel efficiency shares the top spot in my priority list with comfort, and I'm comfortable in the Rabbit.

Really, I didn't expect to be comfortable in it, either; it was a pleasant surprise when I test-drove it. I thought I was just going to have to continue driving my 16mpg V8 full size pickup. I spend nearly two hours per day driving, so it's a major quality of life issue for me.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:06 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxgraphix View Post
WTF? A VW Rabbit only get's 27mpg?!!

Take it back.
Gas engines in VWs haven't been that great for MPG for years. The city Golf they've been selling up here is a bit better though I think.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:13 AM   #8
Registered Member

I just thought of another reason why the mileage isn't so great. They've concentrated on low emissions so much that they're even willing to burn extra gas to purportedly avoid emissions. The reason I think this is due to one driveability complaint I have: Rev hang. Once the engine is warmed up, taking your foot off the gas pedal does not result in the engine slowing. It usually takes 2 to 5 seconds. If you're in gear, this means the car keeps maintaining its speed instead of immediate coasting/engine braking. If you're shifting, it means you have to come off the clutch extremely slow and expect the car to surge forward.

It is a common complaint with the Rabbit's 2.5, and reportedly it is done to burn off gasoline that may otherwise find its way into the exhaust, or some dumb thing like that. I think it's bull and annoying.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:00 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Heheheh...my 2008 Rabbit weighs almost as much as my 1980 Buick LeSabre. I could park three Rabbits in the LeSabre -- one in the trunk, one in the cabin, one under the hood. OTOH, I could drive the Rabbit across the country and back in half the time it would take the Buick to get across once.

Modern cars are heavy and powerful...so IMO it's great if a similarly-sized car gets the same mileage.
Should've got a TDI. My friend always get at least 42mpg in his and 53mpg strictly highway. Completely stock except for tuning box.
GasSavers_topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
Registered Member

I'm curious why the OP leased a 2008 VW Rabbit.

1. VW's score the worse in ConsumerReports as a company.
2. The 2008 VW Rabbit gets really bad MPG for it's class.
3. Unless the OP can write off the lease through a business, leasing a car is perhaps the worse financial decision one can make. It never makes sense.

There are many other cars that would have given you much better MPG, reliability, and value then the 2008 VW Rabbit.

So, why did you do it? Just curious ;-)

MorningGaser is offline   Reply With Quote