2016 Scion IA - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-11-2019, 05:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

2016 Scion IA

I just bought a used 2016 Scion IA they say I should get 31 mpg city driving. Well, this has not happened. The first fill up I got 24.4 mpg and the second time I got 27.6 mpg. What am I doing wrong???? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kimmerscar1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmerscar1964 View Post
I just bought a used 2016 Scion IA they say I should get 31 mpg city driving. Well, this has not happened. The first fill up I got 24.4 mpg and the second time I got 27.6 mpg. What am I doing wrong???? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I'd say read up on all the ways to improve mileage. Read the tips section on here. There are many ways to drive differently to improve your mileage. Read about hypermiling and you'll be amazed! Good luck!

My3gr8boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #3
Registered Member

+1 for that reply. You don't need to do any extreme hypermiling to see a big improvement in mpg. Main thing to remember is, every time you brake, you are wasting fuel. You are dissipating energy it took fuel to generate.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmerscar1964 View Post
I just bought a used...... The first fill up I got 24.4 mpg and the second time I got 27.6 mpg. What am I doing wrong????
First, pump your tires up to 39-40psi for better MPG. Other people pump to higher psi, but you'll have to figure out if your handling, cornering, braking, & tire wear are badly effected. Many feather footing, high MPG tips, but here's one not often mentioned. While idling at a stoplight & the light turns green, watch the front of your car. Applying throttle, does the front end jump up first, then the car moves forward? You already are losing MPG. Carefully apply throttle, to get the first movement of your car to be forward, not upward. Easier with automatic transmissions, easy with CVT transmissions. I found a manual transmission to be the most difficult to accomplish forward motion first.
litesong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
..... every time you brake, you are wasting fuel.
Yeah, heading down a curvy mountain pass, DON'T TOUCH THAT BRAKE. Did you put some wide tires on the car to take on that hard mountain pass corner? A little tire squeal with a 1000 foot vertical cliff on the curve, just shows how good you know your car. If your bumper starts trading paint with the guardrail, just means ya gotta dump one gear. You still might make the corner. DON'T TOUCH THAT......... oh, oh......
litesong is offline   Reply With Quote