89 Camry - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-23-2006, 03:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

89 Camry

Hi,
I just joined the forum, and am excited to learn what I can and write what I already have learned. I have a 89 Camry with the 2L 4cyl and the 5spd and 128K mi. I am interested in all ways of improving MPG, but know the most about the simple maintainence items and driving technique. My car is epa rated at 26 city and 32 Highway. Completely stock driving efficiently I can get 42-43 MPG at 55 MPH. In the city that drops to 35-38. With the tires inflated to 40 PSI the best I have managed is 45 MPG...but just installed halo plugs and seem to be getting 47-49 MPG. I will write again when I am sure that they are making a significant difference. They are expensive, 9$ per plug. I am contemplating heating the fuel line and a warm air intake at some point as well.
-James

GasSavers_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:00 PM   #2
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
hello, good stuff. you

hello,

good stuff. you should start logging im pretty curious about the halo plugs... seems kinda hokey

Old 04-23-2006, 10:41 PM   #3
Driving on E

Re: hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared
hello,

good stuff. you should start logging im pretty curious about the halo plugs... seems kinda hokey
Agreed... Welcome James. We don't have many toyota guys here, but I'm glad to see you starting a trend.

I'm actually curious to see how Toyotas perform compared to their evil counterpart,the Civics

Start up a gaslog and get this party started
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:15 PM   #4
Registered Member

get some NGK V power spark

get some NGK V power spark plugs, inflate the tires to the maximum sidewall pressure and seafoam the engine. Also try auto-rx, it works really good especially on old engines. You'll see your mileage go up by a couple mpg.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:04 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to molecule
seafoam ruins spark

seafoam ruins spark plugs....so if you put it in your combustion chamber thru the intake manifold...do it prior...
though i dont recommend adding it to the chambers...meaning the fuel tank as well...
if you want to clean your injectors...spend the $50-$60 to have it done properly...
there are better ways to keeping your chambers clean...
catchcans and running efficiently with routine maintenance
seafoam in the engine oil is good...it removes a high percentage of residue with about a halfcan installed just prior to consecutive oil changes
seafoam compromises oil lubrication ability...
do not run it for any length of time
20-60 miles of fairly conservative driving

hi
Old 04-25-2006, 04:39 AM   #6
Registered Member

Will be starting up the gas

Will be starting up the gas log as soon as I fill up next, should be May 3-5. I am actually more of a Honda guy than a Toyota guy. I would love one of those civic vx's, but I was given this car so I will work with what I have. My father has a 06 civic hybrid, so I am going to do a bunch of tests on that(since it has the MPG computer) and write them up and post them here. I am not too impressed with the new hybrids, I can get within 5 MPG of what my dad gets with his civic in the old toyota.
GasSavers_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:45 AM   #7
Driving on E

Re: Will be starting up the gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Will be starting up the gas log as soon as I fill up next, should be May 3-5. I am actually more of a Honda guy than a Toyota guy. I would love one of those civic vx's, but I was given this car so I will work with what I have. My father has a 06 civic hybrid, so I am going to do a bunch of tests on that(since it has the MPG computer) and write them up and post them here. I am not too impressed with the new hybrids, I can get within 5 MPG of what my dad gets with his civic in the old toyota.
you can always drop the engine from a civic VX into the toyota :P

I'd be careful with the onboard computer on the civic hybrid. They've been known to be a few MPG off.

Last night I started dreaming about getting an insight. Maybe I'll do that if the no-debt fairy visits me :P
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:00 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to molecule
this isn't james jeffords is

this isn't james jeffords is it...?
lol
thats would be something
gotta love a guy who can stir up the whole government
?*?**?***vermonter