A "smug" TDI guy! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-24-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

A "smug" TDI guy!

Hey, how's you'se guys doin'?! I'm a transplanted New Jersey guy living in So California. I've got a wife who loves me, a son who thinks I'm a superhero, and a God who blesses me.
I said "smug" because I thrashed around in the "diesel" forum, under "thoughts on TDI's" and I guess I came across as, uh... smug. I love my TDI and lifting up such a near-perfect vehicle to extoll its virtues and seeking others' praise may APPEAR smug, but I'm actually very humble. Almost perfectly so.
I'm flogging a 2000 Jetta TDI/5-speed with 140K on the clock, 100K+ on home crafted biodiesel. Since joining this group, I've used the info gleaned to go from 44-point-something MPG to 52.2 MPG in three tankfuls. At this rate, I'll be getting over 1700 MPG in six months. I can't wait!!
The rest of the fleet consists of a '93 Dodge Cummins/automatic that brings 17-21 MPG to the table, an '84 Benz 300SD/auto that pulls mid-20's, and an 85 Benz 190D/auto that gets mid-to-upper 20's. Oh yeah, an early 80's Kubota 3-cylinder diesel tractor. The MPG is nothing to brag about, though. I tried raising the tire pressure, putting fairings over the wheels, and a belly pan, but I've seen no increase in FE
Biodiesel. I love it. Fuel, parts cleaner, hand degreaser, rust-buster... what can't it do? Great fuel, lousy beverage.
I like to laugh, try not to get bent out of shape too easily, and I don't "flame". I try to take some time to think before I shoot off my mouth. Or fingers. Whatever.
If you're in So Cal and you see a black Jetta that smell like a Chinese fry joint, has "Nemo" stickers in the back windows, and an NRA license plate frame, just wave and smile. I'll give you a blank stare for a moment (the hood springs on the Dodge are a little weak, and the slightest breeze will close it with concussive results) and then smile and wave back.

stinkindiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkindiesel View Post
Since joining this group, I've used the info gleaned to go from 44-point-something MPG to 52.2 MPG in three tankfuls. At this rate, I'll be getting over 1700 MPG in six months. I can't wait!!
The rest of the fleet consists of a '93 Dodge Cummins/automatic an '84 Benz 300SD/auto and an 85 Benz 190D/auto an early 80's Kubota 3-cylinder diesel tractor. NRA license plate frame, just wave and smile. I'll give you a blank stare for a moment and then smile and wave back.
Hahahaha ....you seem alright to me

Have you been studying Lapointe Algorithm Calc ? Love the FE arithmetic!

MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
Registered Member

With a TDI you should be able to hit at least ~75mpg@55mph with the right stuff, but, people on the 15 are biatches. I can get away with it in my beaters, but imo that's only because they look like they can't go much faster.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
*shrug*

fuel economy forum
vegan recipes
green home improvement
honda gas mileage
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkindiesel View Post
lifting up such a near-perfect vehicle to extoll its virtues and seeking others' praise may APPEAR smug, but I'm actually very humble. Almost perfectly so.
Heh heh. I'm sure we're going to have fun. :-) Keep us posted along the way to 1700 mpg.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:52 PM   #6
Supporting Member

stinkindiesel -

Welcome to GS! If you see me (in the right lane) on the freeway, I have the GasSavers.org reflective letters in my third brakelight and tons of Pokemon figurines in the back window.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:53 AM   #7
Registered Member

LOL, and if you see me, I'll be the guy in the gas powered $1500 metro getting %50 better MPG than you
Old 07-25-2007, 07:18 AM   #8
Registered Member

skewbe- you may be getting 18% better MPG than me, but MY fuel costs me about .65 cents per gallon. That means when diesel is $3.15 at the pump, I can make 4.8 gallons for the same money. Multiply that by my last tank MPG of 52.2, and I can drive 250.5 miles for $3.15. It's like getting 250 MPG, almost. If I squint and look out the corner of my eye... yes... there it is. Just like 250MPG. With the A/C on. And a box full of In & Out.
I know it's NOT 250 MPG, more like 250 MP(cost of diesel)G.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:52 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Brian D.
Stinkindiesel

So, do you have a whole onboard setup in your Jetta, or do you have everything at home in the lab/garage? How much time does it take, and how many gallons do you typically make at a time? I've read a few posts on homemeade biodiesel. Do you have any issues with congealing, or keeping the stuff warm? I'm just wondering what happens when the weather finally turns cold on biodieselers and the pipes get clogged.

Finally, as I'm sure the Chinese food places are keen on what you're doing with their grease, have they demanded any kittens in return yet?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:28 AM   #10
Registered Member

Brian D.-
It's a stand-alone setup that takes up 30" X 72" in a shed in the side yard. I'd rather have it in the garage for ease of access, but the prettier half says she can't stand the smell of Chinese food.
A 100-gallon batch takes me about 45 minutes prep-and-run, go back the next day and spend another 15 minutes, then it's ready. Maybe an hour, total. Niiiice.
I've had zero problems with congealing or thickening, but I add some commercial diesel anti-gel into the finished product when I know it'll dip into the 30's. I've done cold starts on a tankful of bio at 12degrees with no problem. Of course, I let it idle and warm up for 5 minutes or so when it's that cold. Any diesel engine benefits from a bit of a warm-up, yes?
As far as kittens go, they ARE more tender and less strongly-flavored than the older cats in the neighborhood, but the cookeries I go to won't prepare them for me. I DO look into the dregs in the oil cubies and rummage through the filter on my honeydipper rig, and all I've got to say is... I'm truly an omnivore. And open-minded, dietarily speaking.
Actually, they're happy enough with my -free- oil disposal service that I almost always get a nice hot bag of to-go grub from most of my clients. Be courteous, reliable and clean, and you'll be set. And look hungry- compliment the boss on the great smell from the kitchen.