Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-05-2007, 06:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

Thumbs up acetone to improve fuel economy

!

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
Registered Member

Chevy's came with a 3.8 in 95? In what vehicle? They were offered in 97 Lumina's both the APV and the car. But I can't think of one other in 95. I drove a 96 for over 100,000 miles before my daughter got it. It is a 3.1 always got 28 on the highway at 70+ with no additives.

minic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
If it was tested in a better controlled experiment with less variables I would be less doubting, but there are just too many factors while driving normal to conclude it once and for all.

Either way, it wont hurt. If anything it'll help clean out any residue and crud in the system...
Old 08-05-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
Registered Member

Glad it worked for you.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
Exclamation

MINIC6

Wow man, whomever cared for that 96 lumina was a genius to give you so much "plug-in" efficiency that you always got 28mpg on the highway at 70+ in that thing! Can you put me in touch with whomever that was?
I'm dead serious. That's 3mpg more than I am getting at those speeds, please help.
~your 70 miles away neighbor, Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by minic6 View Post
Chevy's came with a 3.8 in 95? In what vehicle? They were offered in 97 Lumina's both the APV and the car. But I can't think of one other in 95. I drove a 96 for over 100,000 miles before my daughter got it. It is a 3.1 always got 28 on the highway at 70+ with no additives.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:08 PM   #6
Registered Member

It was my wifes car all highway miles and tires were at 40lbs. I don't think its all that great my mother in laws 94 park avenue gets just under 30 on the highway with a 3.8. I think with me driving the lumina and a little bit of tinkering it could get over 30. Problem with this car is that it was at the start of performance versus FE so it has a poor choice of final drive.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #7
Registered Member

Exclamation

I think it is great!! I have the same car(basicly) and I'm not getting that! My tires are at a higher PSI even! What can I do to get better highspeed mileage Minic6?

Quote:
It was my wifes car all highway miles and tires were at 40lbs. I don't think its all that great my mother in laws 94 park avenue gets just under 30 on the highway with a 3.8. I think with me driving the lumina and a little bit of tinkering it could get over 30. Problem with this car is that it was at the start of performance versus FE so it has a poor choice of final drive.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:28 PM   #8
Registered Member

Check basics, tune up plugs? hows the air filter, pcv, pull the throttle body to check for coking. One common problem is vacum leaks. My car had several, what put me onto them was you only had defrost. Vacuum line to the vacuum ball had become brittle and cracked. Also some of the lines for the fuel rail and the egr. How is your exhaust flow plugged convertors can reallly mess up FE before you begin to loose power. Check trans. for over filled condition. This causes excess drag and can damage the trans.

One thing you didn't mention is what engine do you have. 3.1, DOHC or if a 97 or newer 3.8
Old 08-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #9
Registered Member

I have new:
-air filter
-pcv
-new vacuum lines
-new throttle body gasket and clear of coke
-trans has synthetic, new filter and is perfectly filled

The exhaust flow sounds awesome, and the car has never been out of tune(as far as I know) or ran bad so I don't know if the cat is okay or not. It only has 77,000 miles on it tho. And there is an o2 sensor after the cat that is suposed to tell the computer if the cat is fuctioning perfectly or not...

I have the 3.1L

Quote:
Check basics, tune up plugs? hows the air filter, pcv, pull the throttle body to check for coking. One common problem is vacum leaks. My car had several, what put me onto them was you only had defrost. Vacuum line to the vacuum ball had become brittle and cracked. Also some of the lines for the fuel rail and the egr. How is your exhaust flow plugged convertors can reallly mess up FE before you begin to loose power. Check trans. for over filled condition. This causes excess drag and can damage the trans.

One thing you didn't mention is what engine do you have. 3.1, DOHC or if a 97 or newer 3.8
Old 08-08-2007, 08:22 AM   #10
Registered Member

minic6,

Nevermind, I forgot that you are using pure gasoline and I, living downriver from you, am not. So there is your mileage advantage. We are not all equal!

Which is why I think its extremely important to disclose where we live in this forum.