Another new one - Any other Wisconsinites? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to hoffmann277
Another new one - Any other Wisconsinites?

Thinking about taking on the endevor of the well talked about D15Z1 drop in a CRX. About to purchase a 1991 CRX HF. Let the engine hunt begin!

hoffmann277

Old 10-22-2006, 08:32 PM   #2
Driving on E

I did the same swap in a 89 Civic LX. Bagpipe GOatee is from WI, and I'm certain he can help.

FYI, i got my engine from nippon-motors.com

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:07 PM   #3
Registered Member

Reasonable price, do you happen to remember your shipping off the top of your head? Another question in hand then is what state/where was it shipped?
Old 10-22-2006, 09:37 PM   #4
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmann277
Reasonable price, do you happen to remember your shipping off the top of your head? Another question in hand then is what state/where was it shipped?
They shipped from soutern california, an the shipping price was $200 to my door. It's possible you can find one cheaper on the east coast.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:38 PM   #5
Registered Member

Where in Wisconsin are you? Also, just curious, what shape is that crx in? How rusty?

Good luck with the swap.

-Casey.
bagpipe goatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:56 AM   #6
Registered Member

Alittle north west of the Wis Dells. CRX is rust free except for one spot on the rear passenger fender. Does not run though. Blown head gasket I'm told. Looking more into the D15Z1 project and trying to decide if it would be worth it or just simply do a gasket job on the HF's engine.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:55 PM   #7
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmann277
Alittle north west of the Wis Dells. CRX is rust free except for one spot on the rear passenger fender. Does not run though. Blown head gasket I'm told. Looking more into the D15Z1 project and trying to decide if it would be worth it or just simply do a gasket job on the HF's engine.
The HF engine will be cheaper. You can replace the headgasket in a few hours and with only about $100 in parts (gasket and new studs). You can get in the 50s with a HF as well.

the d15z1 will be a fun project if you're interested in breaking 60 (or maybe even 70) mpg, but it's a lot of work. One of the reasons I chose to do it was just to learn how to work on cars.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:33 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I'm in western wisconsin, and reconize the CRX in your icon as being the one I saw on Ebay the other day, if I needed a 3rd car I would defently get it even tho the guy selling it doesn't have any of the stock parts (shifter, exaust header) that have been replaced with after market ricer parts.
I would take a look at www.car-part.com for an engine, it's not going to be as new or low miles as a JDM engine, but it might be cheaper, and a local pick up, if you do an engine swap, I might be able to be talked in to a day of heavy lifting to help put one in, just to see how it's done, but mostly it seems like the wiring would be the really hard part.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:25 PM   #9
Registered Member

I'd be willing to help as well, I've done a few motor swaps myself. I've done some wiring as well, but never the wiring for the z1 swap. Let me know what's going on.

-Casey
bagpipe goatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:28 PM   #10
Registered Member

Yep, that would be one for sale, assuming people don't drive it up too high. It's body is in great condition and I don't mind the aftermarket exhaust, it should help with fuel economy. I've read the HF's engine was restricted abit. Though he doesn't know what brand of short shifter it is, that's disappointing.

60 MPG sounds great, but like you said Matt it will be alot of work, I'm considering it and looking how much is involved. If anyone has more info on this it would be great.

No matter what though I'll be investing in a CRX HF(hopefully the one I'm looking at will be the one) so all it is now is a mattter of time and hope.