Considering Honda - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #11
Registered Member

Don't worry if you can't find a vx you could always get a cx or even a coupe and swap in a vtec-e.

As far as comments about a 200hp civic. With the right combination of parts and a damn good tuner you can make over 300whp and still obtain over 40mpg's.

A guy here in town is making 400whp with his H22 and is able to get 34mpg on the highway. (Which isn't bad considering it runs high 11's on street tires)

Good luck in your search man,
Chris

GasSavers_topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:21 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
I took a train to Monterey from San Diego to buy a VX and drive it home. This was after I had looked at a few that had been in accidents or that had been modified or abused. It took me about 4 months to find it. I only paid $2000. It had 220k miles before I swapped in a fresh japanese motor.

If someone is asking more than blue book just walk away. VXs are known to have problems especially with the super expensive and hard to find O2 sensor. That's the main reason people are selling them. Another reason this car has problems is because any small vacuum leak causes the engine to buck like crazy.

But as somebody mentioned, you could easily buy a DX and get a JDM D15B VTEC-E. I see them on ebay occassionally, or you can contact an engine importer. Try calling Attarco http://www.attarco.com/index.php?main_page=index or Soken Trade Corporation 12055 Sherman Way North Hollywood, CA 91605 ebay: soken-skn.

I would advise against using a chipped ECU because you're not likely to ever be able to match the factory ecu calibration.

You can get the VX rear diffuser and front lip spoiler from Majestic Honda.

You can also try car-parts.com. I've had a lot of luck recently finding hard to find parts.

I would stay away from the CRX simply because it's OBD0 and has a cable transmission. But if you're willing to you could get a full OBD1 harness and bolt a VTEC-E onto your cable tranny.

One last thing. The HX motor is so much better than the VX. It gets the same mileage, but doesn't use a wideband O2, and it makes almost the same power as the EX/Si engine compared to the 90hp VX. The HX is OBD2 though and you might have some trouble finding the correct ECU.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:41 PM   #13
Registered Member

Just joined here also. I found my VX on ebay, totalled in 95 with 27,492 miles and used by insurance company to train adjusters for 12 years. Inside storage kept everything in nice shape and I fixed the damage for $1500.

I just passed the 1000 mile mark Friday. The first two local driving fill ups I got 50 MPG. The last one I drove almost all interstate, and refilled at the same pump. 65.744 MPG, 304 miles on 4.627 gallons of regular (same pump same fill level). This is bone stock on the original 14.5 year old tires (not even dry rotted)! car is still in primer in the damaged areas (rear end hit, no broken glass only replaced the tailgate and right tail light).

I have been driving since 1966 and of the over 200 cars I have owned, absolutely none gave me the thrill of watching that gas guage slowly creep down to just over half a tank in 304 miles. It was mostly interstate driving and I just stayed in the right lane and followed the trucks about 100-125 feet behind them. 64 west to Richmond and 95 north to just past Quantico, some of the more congested highways in the country on Friday afternoon.

Most of my family and friends thought I was crazy to spend almost 5K for this car. It should last me 8 years at 5 cents a mile on current gas prices. I will be laughing all the way to the bank until 2016.

regards
Gary
Old 04-13-2008, 11:10 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
$5000 for a salvage?

I'm not trying to poke fun but I just bought my 92 VX for $2000, that's well below blue book. 220k miles. It's never been in any accident or even failed smog. No real rust either. Carpet is **** but the rest of the interior is in great shape. No seat tear...

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:40 AM   #15
Registered Member

Different strokes suspendedhatch. Find another one with 27k actual that has been stored inside in an air conditioned environment. The body damage is not that big a deal to me, rebuilt my first one 35 years ago.

Since i want absolutely reliable transportation, the high mileage undamaged choice just doesnt interest me. I have 200k miles to drive for the 3 k difference in price, what will it cost you to drive another 200k?

If i find another one for 2k i would probably buy it and keep it for a spare, this one is a time capsule that i never thought i would find. if i was 18 with rubber bones and miles of cartilidge to wear out again my outlook would be different. That was 1968, gas was 32 cents a gallon, and I was more worried about how large the pathetic east coast waves were at Virginia Beach.

regards
Gary