Registered Member

Likely need it for Euro6.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:16 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcp385 View Post
Diesel FTW!

Wish we didn't have to worry about urea or SCR setups though.

I'd never heard of urea and SCR until this post. Granted I've only owned a diesel for a year now and just got my second one and both are pre-2007 diesels, so the emissions are different for them. Actually here in NC I'm emissions exempt which is really nice

-Grant

disjaukifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:32 AM   #13
Registered Member

Emissions exempt? What does that mean?

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:49 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Emissions exempt? What does that mean?
I don't have to pass the emissions test each year as part of the states annual inspection required for all vehicles. I just have to have my lights, horn, tires, brakes in all good shape. I don't have to pay the $45 I think, maybe $35 to have a computer connected to the car and have a probe stuck in the exhaust to see if the engine is not running right.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:54 AM   #15
Registered Member

That's weird, I keep hearing that regulations are strict in the US and yet some places they seem to be entirely absent.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:58 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
That's weird, I keep hearing that regulations are strict in the US and yet some places they seem to be entirely absent.
It REALLY varies here, it's kind of stupid. In Virginia where I use to live, it depended on the county you lived in if you had to pass emission or not but you had to pass safety. In Tennessee they just don't care, there isn't anything. So the general rule I usually saw when I was in Virginia was if a car wouldn't pass emission or safety in Virginia, put it up for sale on craigslist in Tennessee
Old 02-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #17
Registered Member

I wonder how many cars are running bad emissions? Even my 5 year old Fiat with just 58,000 miles on failed the emission test here, got it through eventually, don't think it helped that it had a race exhaust back box!

Old 02-02-2015, 09:06 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
I wonder how many cars are running bad emissions? Even my 5 year old Fiat with just 58,000 miles on failed the emission test here, got it through eventually, don't think it helped that it had a race exhaust back box!
I don't know. It's something I wonder myself. Also here in North Carolina if you car is more than 25 years old it doesn't have to pass emission and once its more than 35 years old it doesn't have to pass safety inspection either
Old 02-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #19
Registered Member

The federal requirements in order to sell a new car in the US are pretty strict, and because diesels have to meet the same emission levels as gasoline cars, they are stricter than Europe's. There is an 8yr/100k mile federal warranty on the emission system, and a 10yr/150k mile on the cleanest ratings in most CARB states. So a manufacturer can't simply put a system in that will last just long enough for the initial test.

Whether a regular emission, or even safety, test is performed is up to the individual states. Near a major metropolitan area is more likely to require it than in the rural ones.

Diesel emissions are exempt in Pennsylvania, and I've heard in California too. Most likely because there are just too few cars to warrant forcing test stations to pay for the necessary equipment. Even with more models available, more hybrids are sold here.

There was a post here where the owner disabled the EGR on a Civic VX, and I've heard it was common to do on cars from back then. The computer controls and senors on modern cars make bypassing emissions purposely harder, and depending on why a car's emissions would be out of speck, it won't be running right. Sometimes purposefully to force the owner to fix the problem. A worn out catalytic convertor may not do that, but they'll last past 100k miles with ease.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:39 AM   #20
Registered Member

Interesting, thanks for the information, I learn something every day Here