greetings to gassavers - Saturn project - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-31-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

greetings to gassavers - Saturn project

I have always been a performance gearhead for hobbies.
But for my everyday pursuits, I have always been concerned with best economy. I came into owning a 2000 Saturn SC1. The SC1 has a 4 cylinder, 1.9 liter, single overhead cam motor with a 5 speed manual. When I bought it, it had the typical oil burning habit. I found a replacement motor for it with only 1000 original miles on it. I swapped it out and started driving it in April of this year.
I was pleasantly surprised with the economy, typically around 40 mpg during the summer months. Right now, with the colder weather, I was getting around 33 mpg, a loss of 15%, which is normal for the other vehicles I drive. I installed a HAI on it and my first tank shows 36 mpg. I am looking forward to tweeking this setup to see what I can get out of it. Using my Scangauge, I have developed my driving practices for best economy but I am trying variations.
I installed a AEM AFR gauge and I will be doing full ecu datalogging with a ScanXL package on a laptop. The future may hold a MegaSquirt to control fuek and spark.
If anyone out there has used with this setup, I would like to hear your experience.

laser3kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: greetings to gassavers - Saturn project

My dad used to have a 97 Saturn, and he was able to get pretty decent milage in it too. Real light fiberglass bodies lol. I always wanted to make a turbo saturn sleeper.

Jakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

Re: greetings to gassavers - Saturn project

Check my garage for the 1996 SL2 I used to own. I have list of mods/maintenance I did that you may be interested in. Believe it or not from that oil-chugging beast I pulled 46mpg out of it, DOHC and automatic and all.

Now I'm in an '01 SL1 auto, not too concerned with hypermiling as I used to be but I'm still considering another HAI for this one.

If your Saturn gives you any trouble register at www.saturnfans.com or feel free to PM me.
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote