Guess I should introduce... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
Registered Member

Guess I should introduce...

Hi all,

I've made a few posts here already, but I thought I should say Hi first!
I'm a college student in New York (no, not the city). I heard about hypermiling from the Grist.org online magazine I read. I found articles that made hypermilers sound like crazy fools and thought "hey, I should read more about that!" After finding out that the media just likes to make hypermilers sound like tailgating freaks, I realized I was already driving pretty well.

My Subaru was a hand-me-down originally getting 23mpg by my calculations. But that's when I was driving 15mph above the speed limit all the time. The past year I've been accelerating slower, doing a small amount of pulse and glide, and some EOC on major hills (some over 8 miles).

My plan for modifications is not to spend much money. As much as a ScanGauge would be great, I just don't drive often enough right now to justify a purchase like that. I'm currently working on a front air dam, and a boat tail. I hope to finish those soon and then work on rear wheel skirts.

I'm glad to have found a community of people just as crazy as me about this kind of stuff!

Old 07-14-2007, 11:16 AM   #2
Supporting Member

Welcome, can't wait to see that boat tail.

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
Registered Member

Welcome to the site. I would think anyone who hang glides (assuming you do, from your avatar) would be keenly aware of how to best make use of available energy to go as far as possible
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
Registered Member

I've been taking lessons since late spring. It's a great sport. I think the hang gliding will make me aware of aerodynamics a lot more. The boat tail is coming together nicely (wood frame, held on similarly to those back bike racks, pictures to come someday soon)
Old 07-14-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
Supporting Member

I still own a 1991 Subie Wagon as well and it's great transportation. Especially in the winter snow. Gonna sell it later this year. I think I never got higher than 29 mpg with it which I thought was already good for a 4x4. Curious to see how far you can push it with your planned mods!
McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:51 PM   #6
FE nut

Welcome to GasSavers GeekGuyAndy! I may be a freak but I never tailgate. The media seems to pick a couple of things and just beat them to death without looking at the whole thing.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote