Hello everyone! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-10-2006, 06:11 AM   #11
Registered Member

No problem - I like

No problem - I like skepticism lol.

Well, I wouldn't call it an "avid" auto-x'er, but I do enjoy it. Here's the modifications that I have done:

Modifications:

1994 Civic Si Hatchback engine/trans/ECU/exhaust

Dynatech 4-1 Exhaust Header

Flowmaster 50 series muffler w/ 2.25" rear section

Omnipower adjustable coilovers (448lb front, 336 lb rear, lowered ~2)

KYB GR-2 Shocks front/rear

Air intake resonator removed

Stock air intake box/pipe with K&N panel filter

15" Kosei K1 Wheels (light - 14.2 lbs each)

195/50/15 Tire size ( tire brand does vary )

"Home Depot Front Lip" spoiler (2.5" plastic edging attached with self-tapping screws)

So, I really have an Si in a VX body. The VX weighs less than the Si (by about 250lbs), so that's part of why I am able to outperform a stock similar generation Si - in both acceleration and gas mileage. Not to mention the mild aero tweaks that come with the VX (partial block-off of radiator, some underbody panels that reduce turblence and drag).

GasSavers_civicminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:21 AM   #12
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
no skepticism, just

no skepticism, just curiosity. your setup is similar to mine.

i have a d16z6 in a cx, but i still have the pea shooter exhaust
my full setup is listed here:
http://thecarspace.com/thisisntjared

the dynatech header looks super nice, how do you like it?

i love my setup as well, super fun to drive and easy on the wallet. i picked up the shell for 1100 and the motor for 300 then i sold my 4door for 1400 hahaha.

Old 05-10-2006, 07:34 AM   #13
Registered Member

Your car looks excellent.

Your car looks excellent. And it is very similar - execpt that I don't have ANY sway bars. Hence my comment about it not be "avid" lol. Very similar setups indeed. You have a much nicer car than mine though. Do you like your suspension setup? I need at a minimum a rear bar, and some sticker tires for auto-x.

I really like the Dynatech unit. Read my review here: http://www.sohchonda.com/forums/inde...showtopic=3018

Yeah, if you do it right, Hondas can be economical all the way around - nice buy!

Old 05-10-2006, 06:43 PM   #14
|V3|2D

thanks on the compliments,

thanks on the compliments, im sure in person your car is just as nice, right now my car isnt looking too pretty since i still have the winter rims and tires on(hx rims are waiting for something sticky)

btw the cf hood is gone, i have a factory red hood with paint that is flaking on there now, much less undue attention

picking up my sway bar setup was the best thing i did for the handling. i had the stiffer springs for a while, but putting on the sway bars makes it feel so much more stable going into and coming out of turns.

i LOVE my suspension setup, but if your on a budget just go for the good old integra 14mm rear sway bar without having the front. it leaves the same bias as my setup and rolls more, but it is still a HUGE improvement over turning barless. i drove for 2 years without any sway bars, then i had just the 14mm rear bar for 6 months before i upgraded to the 21mm/22mm setup for the passed 3 months.

i would say just go for the itr rear setup, but it does get scarey if dont have a front, like with brake oversteer and even throttle lift oversteer when daily driving.

where are you located? i have 2 14mm rear swaybars. all you would need is the lcas.

nice write up on the header, it looks like its a good couple steps above any dc sports header.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:49 AM   #15
Registered Member

Thanks for the offer on the

Thanks for the offer on the sway - but even with you being in Southern NJ, and me in Northeastern AL I think we are still quite a ways apart.

I think I will eventually get a rear bar, as I feel the setup could really use it. I've heard so many people say how much of a difference they saw with the addition of the bar.

Yes, the Dynatech is a very nice piece - although I can't compare it to DC sports since I've never had one.

I'm concentrating now on improving my mpg - when I finally saw a little over 47, I felt the need to get 50 After that goal is reached, I'm sure 55 wouldn't sound too bad either.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Old 05-13-2006, 12:21 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
If you really want to see

If you really want to see some sizable gains in mpg, aeromods, LRR tires, and synthetic transmission oil are where it's at.

You could be getting over 60 mpg.

I recommend the following:

-rear wheel skirts
-custom rear spoiler for improved fineness ratio(You'd have to design and build it. Aftermarket spoilers are by and large for either looks or downforce, not reduced drag coefficient)
-shaved door handles
-covered wheels
-FULL underbelly, not a partial one like you currently have!
-FULL grille block
-low rolling resistance tires for 15" wheels
-tweaked gears so you only need 1500 rpm for the highway speeds you drive
-synthetic transmission oil

Not only would you have a sizable increase in gas mileage for very little additional cost(well, the new gear ratio might be expensive!), you'd have a dramatic increase in both passing ability above 60 mph and in top speed from the reduced aero drag provided you still have access to your original gear ratios used to get up to those speeds.

Aeromods would shave 0.1-0.2 seconds off your ET and add 3-4 mph to your trap speed very easily.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:34 AM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
CF hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared
btw the cf hood is gone, i have a factory red hood with paint that is flaking on there now, much less undue attention

I was wondering how much less those carbon fiber hoods weigh? I was thinking of getting either one of those, or there used to be a kevlar racing hoood that used origonal latch and hinges on E-bay, it might still be there.
I've noticed that alot of the "CF" hoods on E-bay are really fiber glass over a plastic skeliton, with a layer of carbon fiber on the surfice just for looks.
the hood I have on my vx right now is rough, between someone backing in to a corner of it, and the whole thing haveing hail damage, it's one of those things that I've thought about, but I of course would want to repaint it to match the rest of the car.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:14 PM   #18
|V3|2D

the cf hood was half the

the cf hood was half the weight of the 35 something pound oem hood. the 'oem looking' hood on my car weighs like 5lbs less than the actual oem hood, however the paint on it sucks.... get a light weight battery, pull the ps/ac, get an aftermarket header first.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:38 PM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
Re: the cf hood was half the

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared
the cf hood was half the weight of the 35 something pound oem hood. the 'oem looking' hood on my car weighs like 5lbs less than the actual oem hood, however the paint on it sucks.... get a light weight battery, pull the ps/ac, get an aftermarket header first.

who makes a light weight battery? I was thinking a few small gel cells would most likely work, and be smaller and lighter for the same capacity, but is there something better?
I already pulled the a/c and the civic vx never came with power stearing, I didn't think any of the hatch backs did.
An after market header? all of them that I've found were intended for 1.6 engines, and woudl detune a 1.5 and would be really bad at low rpm's because of how much larger diamitor they are.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:41 PM   #20
*shrug*

I think Jared speaks from a

I think Jared speaks from a weight and performance standpoint on that one, because his dc header lost him so much weight.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hi! | hey »