Hello everyone! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-09-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello everyone!

Just popping in to say hello to all you guys on gassavers! I have a 1992 Civic VX with a 1994 Civic Si drivetrain. See my car's profile for more info.

Hopefully the Gaslog feature you guys have here will keep me on the straight and narrow - and stiving for more mpg. As I registered a 47 mpg just recently, I really want to get to 50. Look forward to reading some of your experiences and suggestions.

Currently I employ the following tactics for better mileage:

Higher tire pressure (40psi)
The car is lowered
Large front lip (2.5")
Short-shift at ~ 2000 rpm
Drive at or below speed limit (65 for majority of my commute)
Throttle-shut coasting down grades (lovin' the fuel injector shut-off!)
Allow loss of momentum on some uphill grades
Occasional drafting (but maintaing about 4-5 car lengths)

Glad to find some like-minded nuts. 8)

GasSavers_civicminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:25 AM   #2
Driving on E

Welcome Welcome... it looks

Welcome Welcome... it looks like the take over of the Honda owners has gained more momentum.

Tell us a bit more about yourself. How long have you been a fuel economy nut, etc.?

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:52 AM   #3
Registered Member

Glad to see so many Honda

Glad to see so many Honda guys around.

Well, I have been a fan of efficency for a long time. Doing more with less is a personal motto.

I remember trying to amaze friends with my 1986 Trans Am when I was in junior college - I was able to get 28 mpg (which isn't too shabby, but not really that great). That particular car was the low output V8 with 2.73 rear gears and a TH700R4 overdrive transmission.

After getting married and being out on my own, I started looking for something that got much better mileage. I still wanted something fun to drive though. Initially I wanted an Si hatchback, but the VX came available first. It lacked performance up front, and because of a failing O2 sensor, the mpg wasn't awesome, but it contented me (38-40). I had every intention of upgrading things as they broke. And that I did - at 215k miles, the repair/maintence bill on the D15Z1 was such that I could replace it with a lower mileage 1994 Si drivetrain for about the same price (at the time, the VX engine needed the $380 O2, was ready for a timing belt, the input shaft bearing on the transmission had just went...). So out came the D15Z1 and in went the D16Z6. I really wanted it in there for performance, and actually expected some loss in mpg. Little did I realize that I would actually better the old Z1's figures with the Si drivetrain. \

So now I have a fun commuter that does decently well at autocrossing, runs a low 15 sec quarter mile, and has gotten as high as 47 mpg (although not all of those at the same time lol).

I'm an engineer (systems by trade, mechanical by training), so I like to try and apply learned principles as much as I can to my hobbies/interest). I have several ideas that I'm working on, and hope to be able to report back to you guys with better detail in the near future.

Thanks for the interest, and thanks for the welcome.

Old 05-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #4

Re: Glad to see so many Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicminded
I'm an engineer (systems by trade, mechanical by training)
Hurray for more engineers! I'm an ME by schooling as well...about to take on the role of Manufacturing Engineer.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:57 AM   #5
Registered Member

*sigh* A civic VX...I'm

*sigh* A civic VX...I'm jealous. If only I'd been smarter as a teenager and bought one. I actually went to look at one since I was so amazed by Honda's 72 mpg (Imperial gallons...damn Canadian resellers) claim.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:59 AM   #6
Registered Member

Sweet - more analytical

Sweet DaX - more analytical types means we can debate crap till the cows come home. :evil: My wife hates that. lol

Hey haven't I seen you before? Honda-Tech maybe? Yeah, that's it! I don't post much there, but it is a great resource. Most of the time I'm over on sohchonda.

95metro - yeah, I like the VX and I really got it for a steal ($2800 about 5-6 years ago.). I hope to rebuild the D15Z1 with a few modifications in the future. Finally found time to remove the head and it's kinda crusty (carbon - I believe the valve guides were leaking as well as slightly worn rings). My brother-in-law has a 90's Metro also - and he loves it.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:19 PM   #7
Registered Member

yeah, the vx quotient here

yeah, the vx quotient here is getting pretty impressive. (and welcome to the site!)
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:20 PM   #8

Re: Sweet - more analytical

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicminded
Sweet DaX - more analytical types means we can debate crap till the cows come home. :evil: My wife hates that. lol

Hey haven't I seen you before? Honda-Tech maybe? Yeah, that's it! I don't post much there, but it is a great resource. Most of the time I'm over on sohchonda.
Yeah, my fiance hates it when we get together with some fellow students and start yammering on about this and that technical mumbo-jumbo.

Yeah, I used to be all over H-T. I kind of stopped going there once I found this site, as I had already blown my turbo motor twice and was already on the fuel-conscious path. I thought I recognized your username from there. It's still a great resource, but when a few of us tried talking the mods into creating a Mileage forum, we got lots of flack. I still plan on building a high horsepower setup someday in the future, but for the time being, this efficiency / mileage kick is pretty good, plus it's (a little) easier on the wallet.

Anyhow, glad to have you and looking forward to hearing your input on discussions.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:35 PM   #9
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Re: Sweet - more analytical

Welcome fellow N-gin ear.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:50 PM   #10
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
so what have you done to

so what have you done to make it such an avid auto-x car?

and what mods do you have to run low 15s?

EDIT: when re-reading my post it looks like im doubting you, but i am not, i just want to know your setup.

« Hi! | hey »