Hello from the deep south! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 02sl1
Hello from the deep south!

Hey guys, my names Jon, and this is my story...

Just kidding, but kinda not! Anyways, here's a little about me, and my car. I drive an '02 saturn sl1 Autotragic. This is my first and only car, I've had it since its had 6 miles on the odometer. Now with 149k, its still running like a champ! I'm a student, and a pizza delivery driver, so I really have to be concerned with the gas prices around town. Most of my driving is in town, so most of my numbers are purely in town. That being said, I'd love to get 40 mpg (maybe one of these days). Anyways, just wanted to say Hi!

Old 08-28-2008, 02:33 AM   #2
Registered Member

welcome,

I notice you have already done the WAI. also, try a grill block. scangauge is a good one for the future. JCwhitney had it for 139.99 a while back. might want to check them out.

good luck

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Welcome.

There's quite a few Saturn drivers here, they seem to have a lot of success. Look for them and read what they've done.

In your planned modifications, you mention an exhaust system...don't do it for fuel economy. It will not help, and even if it did, it would never pay for itself. Consider that the exhaust system has to avoid restricting the engine at WOT + high RPM, when it's making the most power and moving the most exhaust; if it can do that, then it must flow 100% unrestricted at low RPM and/or low throttle. If you want to do it for fun, go ahead, but don't expect an increase in MPG...just enjoy it.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 02sl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
In your planned modifications, you mention an exhaust system...don't do it for fuel economy. It will not help, and even if it did, it would never pay for itself. Consider that the exhaust system has to avoid restricting the engine at WOT + high RPM, when it's making the most power and moving the most exhaust; if it can do that, then it must flow 100% unrestricted at low RPM and/or low throttle. If you want to do it for fun, go ahead, but don't expect an increase in MPG...just enjoy it.
I've had a couple people tell me this. So I suppose it will just be for a nicer sound. I've also began planning on blocking my grill out, and come oil change time, switching to 0w 30 oil. I really do appreciate all the hints and tips I've gotten here, and maybe one day, I'll be giving advice out to people!