Hello Guys... New to Gas Savers - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
Registered Member

Smile Hello Guys... New to Gas Savers

Hello Everyone,

As the title states... new to this site. I purchased my 96 CX, 108,000 about 8 months ago. I've slowly been making some modifications and tracked the mpg as closely as possible. I've been using the "fill-the tank" mehtod, and been filling up at the same pump. The results listed are for a City/HWY breakdown of 15% City/ 85% HWY. Following are some results of the mods:

Bone Stock(Fuel Cleaner Treatment): 36 MPG

Cheapo-Ebay Short Ram Intake (I couldn't stand
the crappy perf. of stock intake) 38 MPG

Replace Steelies for (Unbalanced) VX Wheels
w/ 185/70/13 tires: 36-37 MPG

VX Wheels "Balanced" 40-41 MPG

Rear Seat & Mats Delete combined with
Pulse & Glide whenever Bayarea traffic allows 42-43 MPG

I've been getting 42mpg consistently in my driving now even with having to come to a complete stop on the freeway at least 5-6 times (Bay area traffic sucks balls).

I wanted to get you guys' input on replacing the intake manifold from the stock cx manifold to a 95 civic dx manifold. The CX manifold has no plenum, just a crappy a manifold that welds all the runners to one opening. The dx manifold has a small manifold (~1 Liter) and has slightly longer runners to the head. I was thinking of getting the manifold sandblasted before installation.

Has anyone done this mod and how did it affect the mpg? I know this should help with high rpm power (i think) but not sure about how it affects mpg. Any help is welcome... and OH GASSAVERS IS ONE OF THE BEST FORUMS ONLINE...

REDHOTCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
Lean Burn Mode

Re: Hello Guys... New to Gas Savers

Welcome to the forum!!!

I'm not to sure but I think both those intakes are camshaft/intake factory tuned. Is the 95 DX engine a vtec engine?

Old 10-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post

I'm not to sure but I think both those intakes are camshaft/intake factory tuned. Is the 95 DX engine a vtec engine?
The manifold I have does not come of a VTEC engine. I think i will try to install and see what it does for MPG... i always have the stock one to put back on...
REDHOTCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:19 AM   #4
Registered Member

what I have always heard is to improve mileage, you need better low end torque. if it will give you that, it will help mileage. it may end up hurting your mileage in the end if it does increase the top end becuase (if you are like me) you'll have to try that out.

usually if the power is there, you'll use it.

good luck on the swap

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote