Hey Everyone. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-24-2008, 09:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey Everyone.

Hello, I'm new to this site, obviously thats why I'm in the "Introduce Yourself" section, but here's a bit about me, what I do, and what I drive.

I'm a man eighteen years of age, I've had my Private Pilot's License since April 18, 2007 and with the knowledge I've gained, it some how incorporated efficiency with my flying AND driving. Aerodynamics interest me, and so does saving money where ever I can. Flying is expensive, gas is expensive, so therefore, I like getting good mileage.

Just recently I bought an '08 Nissan Versa S. I bought this because my daily commute is approximately 50 miles. My cars just a basic Versa with a 1.8L 4 cyl. and a 6spd. manual transmission. In the city I can achieve 26mpg, and on the highway with no passengers and no A/C I'm guesstimating anywhere around 34-36mpg. I want to get a Scangauge II and I wouldn't mind experimenting with different modifications to become a hypermiler.

So theres my description.

FlyinOBrien2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:04 AM   #2

Welcome! Glad to see your vehicle in the garage. Start on those gaslogs, that will help quite a bit.

The first step is telling us about your mileage and how you achieved it. This will help you watch what you do and get those increases!

Old 05-26-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks 101mpg

I haven't done any modding to my car yet, but I've been driving as smoothly as I can. Coasting to lights, keeping it around 55mph etc. But I think I'll learn a lot on this website.

Thanks again.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Welcome! Unfortunately the site does not offer any chilled beverages or lounge chairs, but you can at least peruse the pages and engage in discussion, right?

I have to ask you right off the bat, if saving money is a concern why have you purchased a brand new car!? You would have been better off getting something a few years old with better EPA numbers. But at least you have a safe car. With gas prices headed where they are, I would be very depressed driving around getting 30 to 40mpg. So the first thing you will do to increase your FE, is to return your car--just explain to the dealership that the seats turned out to be too uncomfortable--I'm sure they'll understand. Next, you will buy a circa 2002 Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic HX which will give you better gas mileage and cost you much less to purchase.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:33 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
Welcome! Unfortunately the site does not offer any chilled beverages or lounge chairs, but you can at least peruse the pages and engage in discussion, right?

I have to ask you right off the bat, if saving money is a concern why have you purchased a brand new car!? You would have been better off getting something a few years old with better EPA numbers. But at least you have a safe car. With gas prices headed where they are, I would be very depressed driving around getting 30 to 40mpg. So the first thing you will do to increase your FE, is to return your car--just explain to the dealership that the seats turned out to be too uncomfortable--I'm sure they'll understand. Next, you will buy a circa 2002 Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic HX which will give you better gas mileage and cost you much less to purchase.
I thought these techniques worked with any car.

friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:25 PM   #6
Registered Member

My parents wanted me to get a safe car, and I wanted something big enough for if I ever do any traveling. It beats what I used to drive, a Toyota Tacoma that got at best 20mpg. So I'm not complaining, besides I love my car.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:10 AM   #7
Registered Member

Welcome to our community.

I think what 1993CivicVx Is trying to say (he certainly can correct me) is some of us here are trying to send a message to the auto manufacturers.

The message is;

We are very unhappy with your apparent disregard for the importance of building cars like the Metro and Civic VX. Cars that proved 15 years ago that we can do better.

Instead manufacturers you have managed to do worse. Average fuel economy has not improved in the last 15 years.

If you (the manufacturers) insist on not providing us with economical transportation, we will not support your irresponsibility with our hard earned income.

If I had an 18 year old son or daughter I would want them to be safe.

It's not our place to decide what is best for you, but we can show you how to get the most for the least money as far as mileage in your new car. My parents helped me with my first car. It was a 57 Chevy bought at a local abandoned car auction for $52. They paid half and I paid half.

regards
gary