Hi - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-13-2008, 12:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi

I have a 1995 Mazda Protege 5 speed. It has 146k on the clock. I bought to 4 years ago and did not know how good this car would be. I live in Los Angeles area and use this car for my estimates. I had been using my work van. I drove like everyone else here and got 32 city and 38 hwy. My daughter wrecked her car and i gave it to her to use. After a while her boss gave her a company car and i got the car back about 1 year ago. I had read about something called Hypermilers and thought i would try some of the things they came up with. Last October i got 50.3 mpg after doing some replacement of worn parts, plugs, friction treatment in the oil, weight reduction(car, not me ) and using the things in the article. This was for a trip of 103 miles. I had just been driving and getting 47 hwy and 40 city. Now i will see how much i can get out of it with a goal of 55 mpg. My car holds 13.7 gallons. The low gas light comes on with 1.7 gallons left in the tank. I will see if i can get 600 miles before the light comes on.

1cheap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:12 AM   #2
Registered Member

welcome! you've achieved very good mpg #s already. are you getting those #s on short trips or on a tank?

put your car in the garage and track your fill-ups. 55mpg could be reachable using EOC(engine off coasting), if you're not doing it already.

keep us updated and best of luck!

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the welcome, and yes i am now using the eoc when driving under selected safe conditions. I am using something also that occurred to me while driving and that is on approaching inclines like bridges and overpasses i turn off the engine if no close following traffic and coast up hill with no fuel used. Since i have a 5 speed i just pop the clutch with the key on and it restarts. I was only putting about 5 gallons in and waiting when the low fuel light comes on to save the weight of a full tank. I drive usually 30% city and 70% freeway. I use the freeway whenever possible. The biggest change is driving technique. What a difference.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
Registered Member

Nice numbers man!!

Also welcome from a fellow noob

What all steps have you taken to lighten it?
AC, PS, sound detoning, Bulk head blanket?
GasSavers_topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
Registered Member

I am keeping my AC it just gets to hot to drive with out it. I don't use it when starting, only at freeway speeds. PS may or may not. sound stuff i will keep for now. I have eliminated the back & passenger seat, all trunk items. Next to go
will be the door panels. Looking to do the grille block off to see if it overheats. I think i can fabricate some rear wheel well covers as there is an inward facing lip to mount it to. My tires have 40 lbs pressure. More to come when i think of more items.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:02 AM   #6
Registered Member

hi

I just filled up yesterday (4-19-08). Went 533.6 miles on 11 gallons. Filled up tank to top of filler tube. 48.5 combined mpg. Used 87 octane, eoc, drafting some of the time, some cruise control. Carried 9 boxes of tile on one trip(40 lbs box). All and all its not bad for my heavy car. Looked up the top 10 gas cars. They weigh from 1500 to 2400 lbs. My car started at 3485 lbs. I don't know if i can hit the 55 mpg target with out diminishing returns in cost.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:55 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cheap1 View Post
I am keeping my AC it just gets to hot to drive with out it. I don't use it when starting, only at freeway speeds. PS may or may not. sound stuff i will keep for now. I have eliminated the back & passenger seat, all trunk items. Next to go
will be the door panels. Looking to do the grille block off to see if it overheats. I think i can fabricate some rear wheel well covers as there is an inward facing lip to mount it to. My tires have 40 lbs pressure. More to come when i think of more items.
Well I have the PS out of my civic and I can tell but, it's not as bad as some people say. I figure I'm a full grown man.

If you wan't to reduce drag you could always remove the rear bumper
Old 04-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #8
Registered Member

Topher, to day i went to Walmart to look for items to install as air dams, defuser. I have to make under belly covers for the bottom of the car. It does not look that hard and will not be very expensive. I am going to the junk yard to see if any of the hundreds of saturns have lips or rear bumper lips or side skirts. I am going to lower my front plate so it blocks some of the air into the front of the car, the rest i will block. Your Civic is a lot lighter than my Mazda, which steers like a truck with no PS. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
Registered Member

Well Cheap1, If you want to make something to block the air coming in front would section out a rear bumper such as a civic. They are flat across and have no place for a liscence plate so it would look ok i would think.

PS:leave some for you radiator and maybe run a cooler thermostat if to much cooling is blocked.