hoping to be owner of a VX - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #21
Registered Member

How much would you guys pay for a vx? I'm seeing them sell for way more then KBB value. I found one w/ 200k miles selling for $4.5 hopefully not firm. where kbb value is at $3k what are you guys thoughts?

xxraffyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxraffyxx View Post
How much would you guys pay for a vx? I'm seeing them sell for way more then KBB value. I found one w/ 200k miles selling for $4.5 hopefully not firm. where kbb value is at $3k what are you guys thoughts?

i see clean ones for 4 or so- the occasional 3, some up to 5. the "riced" ones are less, more like 2. The vx and the hx are the least desirable civics to many honda enthusiasts, but the rest of the world might take a big shine to the vx and hx. in any case the stock ones are gone in a day form craig's list here in portland.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/car/769166938.html

could be a nice one....

mini-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:22 PM   #23
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Loserkidwac
I'd have to disagree that the VX is the least desirable by honda enthusiasts...it boasts a lot of things that import "tuners" are looking for the big thing is that its a hatchback which seems to be the most desirable body, it has vtec wired from the factory, only found in the 92 or Si hatchbacks(plus the EX coupes etc but only referring to hatchs), plus it is the lightest of the civics...all very key things people are looking for...add in the people concerned with MPG and you have a pretty desirable car...they are hard to find and sell fast...I got my VX for $900 back in Oct...my friend payed $2k for his 2 years ago now...I've seen a few pop up in this area under $2k...I wouldn't pay more the $3-$3.5K and that would have to be low mileage very clean well maintained stock one...but hey I'm cheap :-P

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
95 Honda Civic VX *RIP 5/20/08
94 Honda Del Slow D15z1 Swapped
Loserkidwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:51 PM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loserkidwac View Post
I'd have to disagree that the VX is the least desirable by honda enthusiasts...it boasts a lot of things that import "tuners" are looking for the big thing is that its a hatchback which seems to be the most desirable body, it has vtec wired from the factory, only found in the 92 or Si hatchbacks(plus the EX coupes etc but only referring to hatchs), plus it is the lightest of the civics...all very key things people are looking for...add in the people concerned with MPG and you have a pretty desirable car...they are hard to find and sell fast...I got my VX for $900 back in Oct...my friend payed $2k for his 2 years ago now...I've seen a few pop up in this area under $2k...I wouldn't pay more the $3-$3.5K and that would have to be low mileage very clean well maintained stock one...but hey I'm cheap :-P
it's true, the hatch is desirable, but they literally throw away the motors soon as they get them home, and drop in a ls v attack (or whatever). the vx or hx drivetrain is considered worthless by ricers. hypermiling fuel economy folks are a different crowd, of course we like the vx and hx.
mini-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:33 AM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-e View Post
it's true, the hatch is desirable, but they literally throw away the motors soon as they get them home, and drop in a ls v attack (or whatever). the vx or hx drivetrain is considered worthless by ricers. hypermiling fuel economy folks are a different crowd, of course we like the vx and hx.
gotcah agreed, thats why right before this recent gas price hike my friend and I were able to find complete z1 swaps for dirt cheap...always nice to have a spare!

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
Old 07-26-2008, 11:51 AM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loserkidwac View Post
..I got my VX for $900 back in Oct...my friend payed $2k for his 2 years ago now...I've seen a few pop up in this area under $2k...I wouldn't pay more the $3-$3.5K and that would have to be low mileage very clean well maintained stock one...but hey I'm cheap :-P

900?!?! wow I'm jealous!, according to KBB a 94 w/ 200k miles in excellent condition should sell for $2,800 Private party, $4,000 at a dealership. these people are over charging $4,500 common, and it wasn't even taken care of
Old 07-26-2008, 06:20 PM   #27
Registered Member

Its very common for Honda's to sell for more the KBB...whenever I buy a car I compare prices on KBB, Edmunds, and NADA...NADA is the one that cares the most weight with...when i bought my Del Sol last month they asked why it was being sold for less than the market value, we asked what that was, they said $3500 in fair condition...my jaw dropped lol, yea right...I'd like to see the insurance company write me check for that if it was totaled :-P...on a side note they were gonna pay me $2200 for my VX when it got totaled...that wouldnt cover replacing it...i hate that they can get away with that ****...

Anyways sorry for stealing the thread, good luck with your search!! My VX swapped Del Sol just started up for the first time tonight!

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
Old 07-27-2008, 07:48 AM   #28
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
If you can't find a VX then you should take a hard look at an HX. It's in every way superior to the VX and you can get similar FE yet have all your amenities, less miles, and more breathing room.

The CX is actually as light or lighter than a VX and yet even less desirable to the general public. Another option would be to find a CX or even a DX and swap a VX engine, trans, and computer into it. An even better option would be to convert it to OBD2 and swap in the HX motor. You'll get better power and FE with an HX engine in a CX hatch than with the VX engine.

There's really no need to pay an inflated price for a VX with high miles when you can convert a CX/DX into a VX with a low mileage JDM motor and source the VX specific body parts from the dealership for far less.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:02 AM   #29
Registered Member

Suspended Hatch is correct about the CX being the lightest. He is also most right about all the advantages of the HX over the VX. I had a 99 HX that I'm still killing myself for getting rid of. It was in perfect condition, and it gave me low to mid 40s for MPG. It could have probably did high 40s if I was really into gas savings at that time. It had power windows, power door locks, and even keyless entry. I loved that car, plus it had more room than my VX. The only advantages of my VX over my HX was the weight and potential for higher MPG. I recently had a tank in which I had just over 50mpg. I have a CA VX so when I do the O2 sensor and ecu change, I know it will go up even more. Thats the only advantage I'd give the VX over the HX. Potential Mileage. Other than that, I would suggest an HX any day to someone who couldn't find a VX. I was lucky enough to get my VX for around 2k with 145k miles on it a year ago and today the same car goes for double. I'm sometimes tempted to sell the VX and find an HX but who knows what I'll do.
smccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:17 AM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspendedhatch View Post
Another option would be to find a CX or even a DX and swap a VX engine, trans, and computer into it. An even better option would be to convert it to OBD2 and swap in the HX motor. You'll get better power and FE with an HX engine in a CX hatch than with the VX engine.
on that note, would it be smart to just have a mechanic do the work.buy a shell, buy a HX motor have him do the swap. I want to keep my cost no more then $4,000

« Hello all! | Hi. »