hoping to be owner of a VX - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

hoping to be owner of a VX

Brand new, Just wanted to say hopefully sooner then later I will be a owner of a civic vx, maybe a crx hf. just soooo hard to come by. I'm thinking about buying a shell and the vx engine, but was told to stay away from that any suggestions?

xxraffyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Loserkidwac
Welcome, I unfotunately had my civic vx totaled due to a teenage driver...so instead of taking a complete loss I bought the vx back and am in the middle of swapping everything over to a Del Sol I bought! After the wreck I searched for a VX, then a CX, then any civic and well the Del Sol was a steal but you might have better luck getting something then swapping it...check out my thread if you want to see whats involved

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
95 Honda Civic VX *RIP 5/20/08
94 Honda Del Slow D15z1 Swapped
Loserkidwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
Registered Member

wow looks like your project is going well, I honestly wouldn't know how do do half of those things. Any idea how much it will cost for a mechanic to do the install?
Old 07-18-2008, 12:15 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxraffyxx View Post
wow looks like your project is going well, I honestly wouldn't know how do do half of those things. Any idea how much it will cost for a mechanic to do the install?
hah, that would be prohibitively expensive. The only time it is practical to work on a car worth less than $5000 is if you're going to work on it yourself. This isn't to say that I don't think it's worth it to work on a cheap car, it's just that an insurance company will not pay to fix your car if it costs more than 70% of the car's worth.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:14 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Loserkidwac
Quote:
well I'm a hands on learner, I've been working on honda's for 5+ years now probably, no formal training just lots of research, helping friends out to learn etc...for a first car to get under the hood and learn honda's are very easy to work on, I'd say if you have some basic automotive experience, the space and time to do an engine swap you could do it yourself there are plenty of resources that will lead you along in learning...pretty much just need a basic automotive tool set, mostly everything is metric 10, 12, 14, 17, 19...if you were to ask a shop to do it the prices will vary...I honestly wouldn't pay more then $500 to have someone install it, its pretty much a bolt in swap and there is a little wiring to do...with my project I am doing some of the stuff for the first time, the Honda service manual is a huge help, you can download a pdf version...if i wasn't planning on keeping my Del Sol for a long time, I wouldn't put this much time or money into it...since I got a decent insurance check for my civic i figured I'd just reinvest it into the Sol, doing all this stuff at once should ensure a nice reliable DD that get amazing mpg! Good luck with you search for a civic, feel free to ask any questions if you need help...Matt

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
95 Honda Civic VX *RIP 5/20/08
94 Honda Del Slow D15z1 Swapped
Loserkidwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
Registered Member

Good Luck on finding a VX!!!!!!!
smccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:50 AM   #7
Registered Member

I found one vx almost bought it for $2,500, but I was got a weird feeling from the guy. It didn't pass smog, but said all he needed was a new cat, bought cat but says since he has back problems he wouldn't be able to install and get retested (retest is free) It has a brand new transmission in there that the guy has no clue about and at the clutch slave it doesn't have the dust boot cover, and the bottom it doesn't have the flywheel dust cover. VERY minor but shows lack of care for the tranny install. What do you guys think? I made a smart decision or did I miss out on a good deal? $2,500!

Also what your guys opinion on buying one that has been modded?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/car/755231451.html
Old 07-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
I found one vx almost bought it for $2,500, but I was got a weird feeling from the guy. It didn't pass smog, but said all he needed was a new cat, bought cat but says since he has back problems he wouldn't be able to install and get retested (retest is free) It has a brand new transmission in there that the guy has no clue about and at the clutch slave it doesn't have the dust boot cover, and the bottom it doesn't have the flywheel dust cover. VERY minor but shows lack of care for the tranny install. What do you guys think? I made a smart decision or did I miss out on a good deal? $2,500!

I think that was a good decision unless you want to work on a car with potentially lots more problems than are listed. What I'm thinking of doing is instead of getting a VX, I'll get my self a regular model and just swap in an engine and transmission of my choice.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:57 PM   #9
Registered Member

Whats a fair price to pay for a vx? given the current demand kbb priced from private party shows 2400-2800.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:27 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:

I think its a good deal. The olny mods that might affect gas mileage is the wheels and exhaust. It shouldn't affect it that bad. Plus with all the stuff he's throwing in like the Integra engine, greddy turbo, Tranny, and HIDs, you could sell all that stuff and make back alot of the money you're spending on the car. The car looks good. You could also get some VX rims and sell the rotas which are worth a good amount because its a popular wheel in the import scene. I'd get it.

smccall is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hello all! | Hi. »