Howdy all

Thought I would stop in and say hello!

I hang out at cleanmpg, drive accord, green hybrid, and edmunds

I drive:

06 Civic EX Sedan, 5MT, w/Navi
05 Accord EX Sedan, I4, 5AT
00 Ranger XLT Super Cab, I4, 5MT

Car pics can be found here. http://www.carspace.com/psy

Tank logs for the Civic and Accord here. http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage

Hope to enjoy the site

psy

psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:40 PM   #2
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyshack
Thought I would stop in and say hello!

I hang out at cleanmpg, drive accord, green hybrid, and edmunds

I drive:

06 Civic EX Sedan, 5MT, w/Navi
05 Accord EX Sedan, I4, 5AT
00 Ranger XLT Super Cab, I4, 5MT

Car pics can be found here. http://www.carspace.com/psy

Tank logs for the Civic and Accord here. http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage

Hope to enjoy the site

psy
Welcome psy... tell us a bit more about yourself. Why do you care about fuel economy? How long have you been in the fuel economy game?

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:35 AM   #3
Registered Member

All i know is, he's been bump starting before I was born!
Old 05-19-2006, 03:56 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hi Matt

Phil your too kind.

Matt I look at FE as a motorsport like any other facuet of automotive use or base's of messurement.

I was taught about hypermiling as a small child. As well as heel and toe. My father was a very good Autocross, hill climb and ralley driver as I was growing up in the 60's and 70's. He taught us to drive at a very young age. I learned to drive on a 1967 Fiat 850 Coupe. As a young child it was very important to my father to teach us all he could about driving.

A example would be when we got a snow here in Ar. or Ok. he would take me out and teach me how to slide a car. What to expect in a slide. and how to counter act and control a slide. I was drifting at 7 years old. Didnt know that would be a sport. lmao Then say on a nice saturday morning he would be out teaching me how to and when to coast a car ICE off. Or how to drive with load up a hill to save gas. Or draft. Heck you could draft a nat in a Fiat 850.

To my father FE and the tatics needed to get good FE where just as Important as wearing a seat belt. And if there wasnt seat belts in a car how to install them. ( it was the 60's ) And to this day he is the best practical driver Ive ever known. he can go from a mile long FAS to cliping cones at a autocross to a very sprited drive thru a twisty road in NW Arkansas better than anybody I know.

As for FE and why I bother with it? I was raised with it for one. I have a green side. But its not very big. I can share with you, Ive owned and pumped oil lease's in the past. Wish I owned a few now. The oil will run out. Do I think it will run out in my life time. NO -- So some stwertship is in order.

Wife and I work in Tulsa and live in a small town forty miles south of Tulsa. Our daily drive for years has been 80 to 150 miles a day depending on whats going on. For years we both drove seprate cars back and forth everyday. When gas prices started going up we started riding in together. Car pooling if you will. This time last year we bought our New Accord. I had been working on some hypermiling in my Ranger. But with the gearing it has and the horid 2.5L I4. It was a waiste of time.

The thursday before xmas we purchased the Civic. So we now drive the Accord or Civic into Tulsa now. With the rising cost of gas I started logging tanks and working on saving fuel. The Accord is a great hypermiler. It coast like its on a cloud. The Accord being the wifes car, she just ruions mpg. Ive gien up fighting with her and do what i can to off set her mpg busted driving. The Civic is mine. Shes never even set in the drivers seat! So the mpg for it is all mine.

Im not a extreme FE driver like many you will meet. And Im no where near a expert at all. I drive for me. If its fun Im doing it. That could be going down the hwy at 55 mph and then busting off a mile fas. Or taking the long way home and hoisting a rear tire in a hard corner. To low rpm shifting and light timing to blowing the doors off a stupid ricer kid. Im not perfect.

I live in Oklahoma. Im a Sooner, Vikings and Razorback fan. I drive Hondas, live in a Shack. I have three daughters, 5 grandkids and a wife I love very much. I keep fish tanks and love to overclock computers. I sell boilers, chillers, pumps and controls along with repair, start up, tech support for such to make a living. My spelling sucks, grammer and sentence structure is even worse.

I hope to enjoy your site!

psy
Old 05-19-2006, 04:24 AM   #5
Registered Member

i vote for this intro as the most thorough and entertaining to date!

my family owned a 1974 Fiat 128 when i was a kid, but i was almost too young to really remember it. all i know is it was white.

my dad wasn't nearly into cars & driving as yours, as demonstrated by seizing the motor on said fiat (the story goes that when the oil light came on, he thought he'd just drive on to the next highway service station...)

continuing the fiat theme... one of the most entertaining cars i've ever driven was a rusty old fiat x-19 that a friend owned in high school. opened my eyes to the magic of a mid-engine layout.

nice to meet you, psy.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:13 AM   #6
Registered Member

Metro

My my parents where Fiat fans. They had the 850 and also bought a new 1969 124 sport coupe. The last Fiat my father owned was a 128 also. his was burnt orange. He was also a Corvair fan. We had lakewood wagon, monza's in two door and four door, spyders and a turbo.

My brother had a Fiat 124 spider he resored a few years ago for his then wife. They ended up trading it on a Lancer Ralley Art. He now owns a X/19. He will be bringing it down I hope over the hoilday so we can take out for some back road bashing. Possible one of the best handeling cars ever built. Hes going thru his and setting it up for open class Auto Cross. He has a bunch of Arbarth and Rollie engine parts for it. He has modded the the rear disc brakes. Basicly that intails putting a set of front rotors and calipers on the rear. The car as been lowered. Wheels have been changed and its on Toyo racing rubber. I owned a X/19 when I was in my early 20's and had done as much or more to it then hes doing to his. They are a blast to drive!