Howdy from Houston - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-18-2006, 11:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

Howdy from Houston

Howdy from Houston. I'm the proud father of a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid, and I'm about an five-mile trip at 45mph away from my first 50mpg tank. At least, that's what I've calculated in order to get that "50.0" to show up on my indicator. I just pray that I don't run out of gas before then.

I grew up in Detroit and became fascinated with fuel economy and automotive technology being so close to the industry. At the same time, I became increasingly frustrated with Detroit automakers with the crap they put out. As I look at my newspaper with the headline about gas prices going up, I sincerely hope that the big two-and-a-half get their act together and start making cars that are worth a damn.

I'm glad to see the various sites that have popped up like this one that help folks learn about how to lighten their fuel consumption. While I don't plan any significant mods at this time, I am at least keeping the tires maximally pumped, switching to 0W-20 at my first oil change, and significantly modifying my driving habits. I do want to look into an exhaust system upgrade to a larger pipe to reduce pumping losses (I did this with my CRX, which resulted in a 4mpg increase on the highway).

Anyhow, to the creators of this site - thanks!

Jeff

guvmint_cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:30 AM   #2
*shrug*

What type of CRX did you

What type of CRX did you own?

Quote:
switching to 0W-20 at my first oil change
Should've come stock with it, I learned this at honda like two hours ago,

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
Registered Member

Re: Howdy from Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by guvmint_cheese
Howdy from Houston. I'm the proud father of a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid, and I'm about an five-mile trip at 45mph away from my first 50mpg tank. At least, that's what I've calculated in order to get that "50.0" to show up on my indicator. I just pray that I don't run out of gas before then.

I grew up in Detroit and became fascinated with fuel economy and automotive technology being so close to the industry. At the same time, I became increasingly frustrated with Detroit automakers with the crap they put out. As I look at my newspaper with the headline about gas prices going up, I sincerely hope that the big two-and-a-half get their act together and start making cars that are worth a damn.

I'm glad to see the various sites that have popped up like this one that help folks learn about how to lighten their fuel consumption. While I don't plan any significant mods at this time, I am at least keeping the tires maximally pumped, switching to 0W-20 at my first oil change, and significantly modifying my driving habits. I do want to look into an exhaust system upgrade to a larger pipe to reduce pumping losses (I did this with my CRX, which resulted in a 4mpg increase on the highway).

Anyhow, to the creators of this site - thanks!

Jeff
Welcome Jeff! I recognize your nick from GH. I'm sure that you will get more than a few questions about your CRX exhaust mod. That has been discussed here before.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
*shrug*

Quote:I'm sure that you will

Quote:
I'm sure that you will get more than a few questions about your CRX exhaust mod. That has been discussed here before.
Indeed, I would like to know about this, CRX > *, as we know.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:40 PM   #5
Registered Member

Oops - I should have said

Oops - I should have said "switch to synthetic 0W-20."

I had a 1988 CRX Si. Stock everything with the 105hp 1.6 and 5-sp manual. Loved that thing except for the leaky sunroof. The woman I liked at the time hated the car, partially due to the musty smell from the leak. I eventually sold the car to a friend, and now the woman is carrying our first child due in October (WOOHOO!).

Anyhow, when I first bought the thing, it was averaging around 34mpg. I replaced the exhaust with a 2" mandrel bent cat-back, which got me around 38mpg. I didn't want to go above 2" because of the risk of low-end torque loss. I think it was the right size for the car. Other folks I knew went with 2.25" but I wanted to play it safe.

Jeff
Old 03-18-2006, 12:44 PM   #6
Driving on E

welcome

Welcome aboard. Feel free to tell us all about any modifications you've made, and please create as many threads as possible As krousdb pointed out, we'd love to hear about your CRX exhaust modification.

Glad to have another fresh mind here
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:49 PM   #7
*shrug*

Damn, hmm. The 88s are a

Damn, hmm. The 88s are a pain in the butt. I have a 91, finishing up my MPFI so it'll be basically yours now except sucky auto. My girlfriend would always complain about my crx too, mostly about how she'd cut herself trying to close the door with the interior gutted. But I solved that but just closing it myself,

Did you do anything else to it?

Post up a picture of your HCH, I wanna see what other colors they came in,
Old 03-18-2006, 02:08 PM   #8
Registered Member

I'd switch to synthetic at

I'd switch to synthetic at like 10,000 miles. It's always good for the engine to break in fully on regular oil. Hondas are known to break in after 15k.

You will start seeing a couple mpg more after passing 15k

I love honda and everything but I'd never buy the first year car. I would of at least bought a 07 or 08 that way some of the bugs would be worked out.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:03 PM   #9
*shrug*

There have been civic

There have been civic hybrids for years...
Old 03-18-2006, 06:52 PM   #10
Registered Member

I considered waiting for a

I considered waiting for a year, but then my car died, and it would have been now or never (or at least 7 more years). I love the thing. For a first-year model, I'm really impressed!

Jeff