Inactive cylinder experience - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

Inactive cylinder experience

Twas 1966, enroute from Connecticut to Minneapolis driving a Ford V-8 Stationwagon loaded with all my belongings. Stopped in Lansing Michigan for an overnight stay with friends. Fired up the Ford the next morning, only to hear a terrible valve clatter. Took off the valve covers, found one hydraulic lifter stuck. Backed off the lifters on that cylinder, and proceeded on to Minneapolis on seven cylinders. The only significant difference was my gas mileage improved.

This engine did not have fuel injection , so no fuel went into the deactivated cylinder, which simply bounced up and down on an air cushion.

I'm now interested in deactivating one bank of cylinders in my 4.3 GM V-6, 1998 GM Sonoma Pickup. I plan to back off all the lifters on one side, and shut off the fuel injectors on that side.

I would be very interested in any comments or other peoples experiences with a 4.3 liter GM v-6.

Thanks in advance.

jwa4871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:19 AM   #2
Registered Member

Try this forum thread: DIY: Displacement on demand project

We could use another head on the project!

Welcome to the forums!
rgathright is offline   Reply With Quote