Incredible Jetta Diesel - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-02-2007, 09:15 AM   #1
Registered Member

Talking Incredible Jetta Diesel

I bought a 2006 Jetta Diesel in Sept 2006. It has been a gem, EXCEEDING the government sticker for milage. Although the 2006 is the last diesel available from VW until 2008 (or so I have heard) there are still some New 2006 that have never been sold on dealer lots. Some issues:

The sticker suggested average highway milage for the was 41mpg Highway; for the Manual transmission it gave it a rating of only 40 mpg. I can tell you without doubt that I get, at 75mph without the AC, on flat roads (mostly south central Florida driving, open highway) 51mpg, once at speed. With AC on I get 48mpg at 75mph once at speed. In city driving I get about 30mpg, depending on the situation. Certainly never less than 25mpg, as the worse average in extreme stop and go, at slow speeds.

I get better gas milage in 4th gear at speeds from 50mph to 75mph. I go to 5th gear because I have heard it is better for the engine to run at lower RPMs, but incredibly the higher rpms sometimes get the better milage at these some speeds.

To get a maunual transmission i had to order it, and it took about 4 months to come in.

The manual transmission gives it definate perk when needed.

The car is not loud like the old diesels. It does have adistincitve purr. And IS louder than the gas version.

Carry a box of disposable clinic exam gloves in the trunk- you will want them when you pump gas. (One drop on you goes a long way! So you will use the gloves everytime you fill up to avoid smelling like you just pulled the engine out of the car)

The car handles and rides great. I ordered the "highend" model (nice leather interior, sportier wheels etc)

A negative: oil changes have to be done every 5000 miles and are more expensive than the gas version. (needs synthetic oil).

But the oil changes issue is greatly outweighed by the plusses.

This 2006 Jetta is the new body style- larger, almost the size of the old Passat.

If you can find a manual (I know there is at least a secoond one out there- the dealership ordered asecond one identicle to mine when they ordered mine.

halfish

halfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:18 AM   #2
*shrug*

Do you have a scanguageII or does the car come equipped with mileage readings?

Welcome to the site.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfish View Post
A negative: oil changes have to be done every 5000 miles and are more expensive than the gas version. (needs synthetic oil).
Check your manual - your OCI should be 10,000 miles. 5k is a minimum, used during initial break-in, and it should not be changed prior to this. If you factor in the longer intervals, end cost for changes comes out about the same as gas models. Stick with VW505.01 (if a PD), 506.00 spec oils or better. Again, check the manual for your spec.

Your most valuable resource as a TDI owner is tdiclub.com, where you'll find tons of info and assistance. There's also a monthly mileage competition, so you can have some diesel-powered competitors.

Welcome to TDI ownership and Gassavers.org!
Maillemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
Supporting Member

welcome to the site. anouther Fl person is in the house
Old 06-02-2007, 01:19 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for the tips!! I will check the owner manual- and am going to check out the TDI site right now. hal
Old 06-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
Registered Member

The car comes equiped with a "Trip" MPG guage (actually tracks "two" trips, a 1 and a 2. Both can be reset. And then there is the instant feedback MPG guage.
The instant feedback one is interesting: depending on the speed, and gear, going from NO AC to using the AC, can cost from 3 to 6 MPG.
Is the scanguage II more accurate?
Old 06-02-2007, 01:40 PM   #7
*shrug*

I wouldn't know if the SGII is more accurate, I just think it's odd that 4th gear would get better mileage, since I haven't heard anyone else saying anything similar for any car,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:15 PM   #8
Registered Member

Where in South Florida are you? I'm near Fort Myers.

repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote