Just joined but have been saving gas for years! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2007, 07:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

Just joined but have been saving gas for years!

I saw a article in Digg the other day about Hypermilers and I had never even heard of the term! I've been a long time gas saver in what ever I have been driving and always checked the MPG of every tank of gas I have used.
Currently my daily driver is a Toyota 4 Runner. Not exactly a hypermiler but its fit for purpose. Just installed a Scangauge II after finding out there was such a thing available and I'm sure its going to help my effort to get the most FE out of my truck.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:28 AM   #2
*shrug*

Welcome to the site! What kind of mileage have you been getting?

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:23 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Welcome to the site! What kind of mileage have you been getting?
I've been getting 23 something going to work before installing the scangauge. Mid 14's towing 3200lb boat trailer. Still working on burning the first tank to check the scangauge's calibration.
One thing thats very apparent watching the scangauge is that your basic truck shape is not very aerodynamic.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:18 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalic View Post
I've been getting 23 something going to work before installing the scangauge. Mid 14's towing 3200lb boat trailer. Still working on burning the first tank to check the scangauge's calibration.
One thing thats very apparent watching the scangauge is that your basic truck shape is not very aerodynamic.
Exactly which feedback from the SGII are you basing your "basic truck shape is not very aerodynamic" statement on? I ask as I do not yet own a SGII, as it does not fit any Japan-market vehicles.
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:10 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrick View Post
Exactly which feedback from the SGII are you basing your "basic truck shape is not very aerodynamic" statement on? I ask as I do not yet own a SGII, as it does not fit any Japan-market vehicles.

Using the scangauge you can dynamically see the relationship between speed and indicated MPG. My MPG drops quickly as I get over 50mph... Also any form of drafting at speed makes for a very significant increase in indicated MPG. Both observations point to the draggy shape of the vehicle having a major affect on fuel economy at highway speeds.

Interesting, I did not know cars made for the Japan market did not have OBDII connectors. Do they have a similar standardized diagnostic port?
Old 06-18-2007, 09:08 PM   #6
Registered Member

Mentalic: Yes, they have their own standardized diagnostic port. It looks like it is called JOBD (j for japan i guess) and it put a big hamper on my buying an SGII. Why they would do that is beyond me. It would make sense to standardize with America, seeing as how they export tons of cars there.

I will be getting an SGII for my recently purchased 1998 Jetta TDi when I get back to America next April. Until then, I will be monitoring my car per fillup over here in Japan. Sucks though that it is about 98% full service stands here, so I can't fill up my car myself. The station I use now also tends to round off to the nearest liter... which is very inconsistent and pisses me off, but there is truly nothing that I can do about it.

So before I get into any more of a drawn out rant, I am going to hit the "Post Quick Reply" button.
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:26 PM   #7
Supporting Member

just want to know why are ya over there and when are ya coming back?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:13 AM   #8
Registered Member

Well, that answers my question from yesterday. You can be a hypermiler without even hearing the term.

Like you, I kept track of my mileage for years. I even made notes on the receipts if I had made any changes like an oil change, for example.

This site really helped me refine that practice. And I learned some really cool things.

I drive a Mazda Tribute, V6 2x4, 3.0 liter, with 200 hp. It's a thrill to drive (Zoom Zoom Zoom), which makes it harder to slow down. The biggest modification I've made since learning about this site is to change my driving habits. I went from a consistent 19 mpg to 22 or 23. My best tank was 25 mpg.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

m
Old 06-19-2007, 09:14 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalic View Post
Currently my daily driver is a Toyota 4 Runner. Not exactly a hypermiler but its fit for purpose. Just installed a Scangauge II after finding out there was such a thing available and I'm sure its going to help my effort to get the most FE out of my truck.
Nice! What year is your 4runner, engine, tranny etc? I know what you mean about the aero on these. The difference in coating my 97 versus my wifes scion xb is astounding. I think the driveline resistance and big tires make a difference too.
tulsa_97sr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:30 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsa_97sr5 View Post
Nice! What year is your 4runner, engine, tranny etc? I know what you mean about the aero on these. The difference in coating my 97 versus my wifes scion xb is astounding. I think the drive line resistance and big tires make a difference too.
Its a 2002 3.4L v6 with the auto transmission. I went with the 4 Runner as its about the only thing I could find that could haul my boat, had seating for 5 and still get "decent" gas mileage. The automatic transmission is hard to beat at pulling a boat out the water, way easer than using a manual.
I don't have too far to drive to work, only about 12 miles so its not to bad.

My 4 runner will coast forever though! I'm running 34psi air in Michelin tires, Moble 1 in engine, tans and differential.

Thinking about replacing the fan clutch for an electric fan but I'm not sure if there is really much benefit in doing that.