Looking to optimize FE on NAH - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2008, 07:29 AM   #1

Looking to optimize FE on NAH

Hello all.

Have had my Nissan Altima Hybrid for about 45 days (two tanks) and am already having a blast improving my FE.

I've got a SG and have pumped my tires to 46psi (placard is 36, sidewall is 44). And, I've been using a lot of the hypermiling techniques that apply to hybrids.

I'd like to find other NAH owners that have specific techniques for this vehicle, namely:

1) SG optimization points for TPS, LOD, etc. at different MPH and conditions
2) Any experience with hyperinflating the tires beyond the sidewall
3) Grill block techniques for this car
4) Engine block heater experience (to get us into EV mode sooner)

Thanks in advance!
Looking forward to hearing from the experts!

Eph

cephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Welcome. I didn't even know Nissan makes a hybrid.

I am a huge fan of increased tire pressure. However, I believe that in most configurations the diminishing returns make it totally not worth the type of "hyperinflation" you're considering.

What's your curb weight, tire size, and tire maximum load? If they're small (narrow or low profile or both), or more fully loaded than common OEM tires, you might actually be able to gain well from yet more pressure, though there is always the concern of being blamed in the event of an accident caused by tire failure.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:22 PM   #3

I've only got mine at 46psi (sidewall is 44). But, I know someone who has them at 52psi with no problems (yet).

Great site!
cephraim is offline   Reply With Quote